Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil thread number 467231

Davo_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s2
Hi all have had oil on the brain for far too long later and need to put it to rest. I have been running penrite 10w40 in my cars for years now and after purchasing a vx that was well overdue for a oil change around a year ago and changing the oil straight up with said oil, I serviced it a couple of days ago with castrol gtx 15w40 ultraclean in a bid to clean it out more efficiently. I am now thinking about throughing in some nulon lifter free to quiet down a noisy lifter and aid in the cleaning. Just wondering if anyone has used ultraclean with lifter free specifically in there ecotec, just abit iffy having a supposed cleaning oil plus a cleaning agent in at the same time.

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
Search YouTube on seafoam nd a Lucas oil lubricant it looks like a very good product to use unfortunately here in nz it's hard to get the seafoam or its stupidly expensive so I'll have to get some off ebay at a later date
My mates dad has used seafoam on his inboard motor on their boat nd loved the results

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Castrol recommends 10w30 in ultraclean, edge 5w30, magnatec 5w30 I've used 10w40 too in magnatec.
Most oils have cleaning agent its totally up to you to add lifter free I have seen on u-tube that it works as I too was looking at doing the same a few days ago but decided to see how the new oil goes first.

Davo_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s2
Haha I decided the same thing today. I started it up and couldn't hear a tick, but could last time I drove it. Obviously the engine isn't going spontaneously combust if I put both in but wasn't sure how well it would be protecting things mixed with that particular oil. I think if it had been any other oil I wouldn't have given it another thought. Not sure how well more hydrocarbons mix with ultracleans already amped up detergents.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Who says the supposed extra detergents in the oil, if there really are any, reduce the lubricating performance of the oil? I doubt it would. If you are really worried email Castrol and ask. Most oil companies are pretty good answering questions like that.

Davo_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s2
It claims 50% more cleaning power than industry standards so better cleaning= either more or stronger detergents, I also doubt it would reduce the performance of the oil but without knowing for sure didnt want to use it, that's why I asked if anybody else here had used this combo. A email to castrol would be a good idea though.