Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Viscosity Test, Interesting Results

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Watch this and then lets discuss. I think this has relevance for us as we are mostly talking about oils for used engines with.... (I let you watch the video)

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I change the oil every year (less than 10,000 km) and every year it comes out drark brown & thin. Heat definitely affects oil viscosity

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Watch this and then lets discuss. I think this has relevance for us as we are mostly talking about oils for used engines with.... (I let you watch the video)

Are you trying to set the forum on fire, because that’s how you set the forum on fire.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not at all. We all drive cars with some mileage on em. We know GM fucked around with low tension rings on the LS motors to reduce friction to get better mileage along with running thinner oils to reduce pumping losses.

That test shows that a thicker oil on a well used motor isn't hurting power/torque.

I like a good discussion and users complain we discuss to much non car related stuff.

The discussion about ring seal is quite interesting, better ring seal means more power but also less oil getting past the rings and fouling **** potentially.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
They did mention that thicker oils on crank bearings with precision tolerances might be an issue.
In regard to the Alloytecs, it doesn’t sit well with me using a 10W rather than a 5W.
I feel the video left more questions than answers. Though they are good answers. I hope they repeat it with other types of engines.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
that engine had too low compression so maby the oil helped the sealing where more compression would also seal the rings better, so would it still affect the LS with 10.7 odd comp the same

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
They did mention that thicker oils on crank bearings with precision tolerances might be an issue.
In regard to the Alloytecs, it doesn’t sit well with me using a 10W rather than a 5W.
I feel the video left more questions than answers. Though they are good answers. I hope they repeat it with other types of engines.
Just for the sake of saying it, because I think many people are still too scared to move away from 5w30 dexos revenue raising. I've been running 5W40 in my Alloytec since I bought it 13 years ago. It already had done over 120k. Now it's done over 300,000km, so many of them on the 5w40 Synpower. I guarantee you 9 out of 10 people would be 100% convinced the engine had been swapped with a new or 50,000km engine. It still burns no oil, goes like stink and has never needed chains. Shame the transmission is not on the same page.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just for the sake of saying it, because I think many people are still too scared to move away from 5w30 dexos revenue raising. I've been running 5W40 in my Alloytec since I bought it 13 years ago. It already had done over 120k. Now it's done over 300,000km, so many of them on the 5w40 Synpower. I guarantee you 9 out of 10 people would be 100% convinced the engine had been swapped with a new or 50,000km engine. It still burns no oil, goes like stink and has never needed chains. Shame the transmission is not on the same page.
Same for the last , hmm. Maybe 10 years.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
interesting re the 5w40, out dual fuel alloytec berlina got to 200k and tried 5w40 but i didnt like the startup sounds so went back to 5w30(castrol edge). chains never touched, oil changes at 7500. sold car with 255k no oil burn or motor issues

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
interesting re the 5w40, out dual fuel alloytec berlina got to 200k and tried 5w40 but i didnt like the startup sounds so went back to 5w30(castrol edge). chains never touched, oil changes at 7500. sold car with 255k no oil burn or motor issues
The 40 part of the oil’s classification won’t be a factor in start up. The 5W is relative.

The 30 or 40 is the oils viscosity at a certain high temp, and in the video posted, they lay that out.