Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Viscosity Test, Interesting Results

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Just for the sake of saying it, because I think many people are still too scared to move away from 5w30 dexos revenue raising. I've been running 5W40 in my Alloytec since I bought it 13 years ago. It already had done over 120k. Now it's done over 300,000km, so many of them on the 5w40 Synpower. I guarantee you 9 out of 10 people would be 100% convinced the engine had been swapped with a new or 50,000km engine. It still burns no oil, goes like stink and has never needed chains. Shame the transmission is not on the same page.
Same here except replace 5w40 with 15w40. Changed the old SV6 over to Shell Helix 15w40 or Castrol Magnatec 15w40 (whichever was on special) as soon as the car was out of warranty at 100,000kms.

Had about one second of chain rattle on really cold winter mornings before the oil got up to the tensioners but it never burned any oil between services. The car still lasted for about 330,000kms before the transmission shat the bed. Even went up to about 25,000kms between services one time.

Oil viscosity is a lot less of a factor in engine longevity than people give it credit for. The most important factor is that you’ve got oil in the first place (if it’s not burning off then the engine will never get caught short).

The next most important factor is you’re using a decent brand name oil not some no name crap you bought from Woolies or Coles for example.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They did mention that thicker oils on crank bearings with precision tolerances might be an issue.
So we aren't talking about standard GM engines then..... :)

I feel the video left more questions than answers. Though they are good answers. I hope they repeat it with other types of engines.
Certainly it does give rise to more questions and more testing is required.

that engine had too low compression so maby the oil helped the sealing where more compression would also seal the rings better, so would it still affect the LS with 10.7 odd comp the same

Ideally, yes I'd like to see the test repeated on a higher compression engine. I just mentioned LS motors as they are well known for having ring sealing issues and they certainly like to "breathe" looking at the oil bath inside many LS intake manifolds. I'm sure we've all seen the memo floating around the web as to what GM accepts as reasonable oil consumption?

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
The 40 part of the oil’s classification won’t be a factor in start up. The 5W is relative.

The 30 or 40 is the oils viscosity at a certain high temp, and in the video posted, they lay that out.
youd think that but was far more noise with the 5w40. just went back to the 5w30 no issues at all. i use edge 5w40 in my 6lVe ss ute with head and cam etc and no start up noise even with tie bar lifters

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Same here except replace 5w40 with 15w40. Changed the old SV6 over to Shell Helix 15w40 or Castrol Magnatec 15w40 (whichever was on special) as soon as the car was out of warranty at 100,000kms.

Had about one second of chain rattle on really cold winter mornings before the oil got up to the tensioners but it never burned any oil between services. The car still lasted for about 330,000kms before the transmission shat the bed. Even went up to about 25,000kms between services one time.

Oil viscosity is a lot less of a factor in engine longevity than people give it credit for. The most important factor is that you’ve got oil in the first place (if it’s not burning off then the engine will never get caught short).

The next most important factor is you’re using a decent brand name oil not some no name crap you bought from Woolies or Coles for example.
bought a ls1 with high kms always serviced with penrite oils(previous owner) never seen such a blacked up engine(took rocker covers off to re do seals) shes on castrol oil now and doing great

oils ant always oils

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
youd think that but was far more noise with the 5w40. just went back to the 5w30 no issues at all. i use edge 5w40 in my 6lVe ss ute with head and cam etc and no start up noise even with tie bar lifters
Something funny going on there I reckon. Synpower starts and runs smooth as. I did try hpr5 once as I had a few bottles spare and didn't like it at all. It sounded like it had a higher cold viscosity than the Valvoline. I guess it's a bit like trans fluid, you need to find the oil that works best in your engine.
I tried Edge 5w30 in wifes turbo diesel. Made a nasty turbo rattle when it got hot eg long trips. Swapped that to Edge 5w40 and no more noise.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Something funny going on there I reckon. Synpower starts and runs smooth as. I did try hpr5 once as I had a few bottles spare and didn't like it at all. It sounded like it had a higher cold viscosity than the Valvoline. I guess it's a bit like trans fluid, you need to find the oil that works best in your engine.
I tried Edge 5w30 in wifes turbo diesel. Made a nasty turbo rattle when it got hot eg long trips. Swapped that to Edge 5w40 and no more noise.
depend where you live to, adelaide can get pretty cold in winter.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
bought a ls1 with high kms always serviced with penrite oils(previous owner) never seen such a blacked up engine(took rocker covers off to re do seals) shes on castrol oil now and doing great

oils ant always oils
Or the previous owner was just bullshitting you and actually used the cheapest oil they could find?

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or the previous owner was just bullshitting you and actually used the cheapest oil they could find?
he had a few ls1 commodores and his oil rack in shed was full of penrite, looked like a guy that enjoyed and looked after his cars hence why i bough a higher km one.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Black oil is not a bad sign, it means it's doing its job cleaning the crankcase and not leaving deposits of carbon everywhere.

I've been running Penrite for years now after using Fuchs for a long time. First diesel grade and now regular semi synthetic and the inside of the engine is the cleanest it's ever been. 10w-40 even though Holden recommend the same 5w-30 like the LS motors.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black oil is not a bad sign, it means it's doing its job cleaning the crankcase and not leaving deposits of carbon everywhere.

I've been running Penrite for years now after using Fuchs for a long time. First diesel grade and now regular semi synthetic and the inside of the engine is the cleanest it's ever been. 10w-40 even though Holden recommend the same 5w-30 like the LS motors.
always laugh when people say oil comes out golden at a oil change, that means its not cleaning.