Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oils ain't oils...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
and your trying to blame the oil for that eh?

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
You mean we can do that? cool I blame Shell helix 15w 50 for my lifter noise then coz it started after my injectors died, dumped a heap of fuel in with the oil and i changed it to that

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
i do actually because the noise is virtually gone compared to what it was. its only on cold startup for a minute or so...

Lloyd1986

Reaction score
Website
www.lcimagery.com
Members Ride
VX II Supercharged S pack
Just on the lifter sound. When I bought my car it did it on startup, quite noticeably. But since I have changed to Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, it has completely gone, engine is smooth as silk now.

kovini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Exec. Wagon
Stupa - the oil is AMSOIL - there is a website, but as its american, it can only be purchased from importer/dealers (no dope included :) ). In QLD its Alpha Lubrication, ph (07) 5448 5953. i had an email address, but promptly lost it. just remember that different motors will need different grades, so the 0w30 may be too thin! - yes they have different grades (even for my outboard 2stroke - yay)

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
G'day guys
Lloyd1986 - How many k's has ur car done?
I'm looking at doing my oil soon, obviously i want something that will stop any lifter noise & make the engine run smoothly as possible, any suggestions anyone?

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
G'day guys
Lloyd1986 - How many k's has ur car done?
I'm looking at doing my oil soon, obviously i want something that will stop any lifter noise & make the engine run smoothly as possible, any suggestions anyone?

if u want something that will stop the lifter noise get sumthing thats thin wen its cold...eg. 5w-40

i use penrite hpr10 10w-50 and that has a little bit of lifter noise on start up but that goes after 20 sec or so

basically the thinner the oil the quicker it can get pumped round and the less noise ur lifters are guna make. and yeh basically synthetic oils would be the way to go...for smoothness and quietness

so yeh one of these oils maybe
shell helix ultra (5w40) $50
penrite hpr5 (5w40) $50
mobil 1 (5w50) $65
castrol edge (5w-30) $40
and maybe magnatec (10w40) aswell coz thats synthetic $32

hope that helps mate :thumbsup:
ryan

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thankyou very much VUV6. Will look at doing oil this week, probably use mobil 1. Thanks bud :thumbsup:

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
Thankyou very much VUV6. Will look at doing oil this week, probably use mobil 1. Thanks bud :thumbsup:

yeh no worries mate :thumbsup: ....yeh couldn't go to far wrong wid mobil 1, id use it but i just cant afford it! lol

cheers
ryan