Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oils and Things, Oil Tech Discussion

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i use to run a 10-60 in mine at the start when blower was fitted but then tried a 10-40 and it went quieter so i have stuck with that since then, and as i always say once i checked bearings once engine was out they were barely touched for stock bottom end and 14psi boost adding load to it all for few years so the 40 was working well

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This is why your bottle of oil has 2 numbers! Because it has 2 weights!
The first one is the weight when cold, and the second is the weight when hot.
Just remember, to make things a little bit more confusion they measure the cold viscosity and hot viscosity on different scales. So don't bother trying to relate the 10w cold number to your 40 hot number. The oil still things out a lot when it's hot.
So 10w oil is thicker than 5w when it's cold. But 5w40 and 10w40 are very similar when hot because both 40 grade.
It’s not going to end well is it? :(

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
This guy always gives good explanations, and he has a couple of graphs/figures showing the meaning of the viscosity numbers…

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It’s not going to end well is it? :(
Well Fu, you just had to start a thread on oil. How did you think this would end?

Word of advice DO NOT start a tyre thread... An oil thread soon gets traction but a tyre thread is a whole new level.:p

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes but both the 5w 40 and 10w 40 are in the safe operating range in pretty much all of Australia according to Penrite was my point. Some say you need a 5w but what's that based on? Don't say manufacturer specs because GM suggest a 5w 30 as the correct grade oil but there are too many variables, I'm sure they don't consider.
People say lots of things but most have never even seen inside an engine. 5w30 is probably good for the average daily commute in most stock cars but then again, your engine isn't stock, and Holden don't provide a 300,000km warranty to back up their recommendation so who knows what it was based on...

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Don't say manufacturer specs because GM suggest a 5w 30 as the correct grade oil but there are too many variables, I'm sure they don't consider.

I am pretty sure that GM considered a huge number of variables before they came up with their recommendations.

I find it a little bit strange that some people can underestimate, or even dismiss, the enormous amount of research and testing that manufacturers do before making their recommendations.

But feel free to try other grades in your engine, but I wouldn’t be claiming that the manufacturers haven’t considered the whole range of oil viscosities and the typical operating-temperature and cold-starting-temperatures experienced by their engines.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fuel Economy plays a part in the recommended oil but primarily oil weight is based on bearing clearances.

In another video that guy explains the GM Dexos spec oil and how it differs to a conventional oil including viscosity.

Well Fu, you just had to start a thread on oil. How did you think this would end?

Word of advice DO NOT start a tyre thread... An oil thread soon gets traction but a tyre thread is a whole new level.:p
Actually, I started the thread using a moved post from the video thread I'd made earlier but it's attributed to @Fu Manchu due to timing of the posts.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I am pretty sure that GM considered a huge number of variables before they came up with their recommendations.

I find it a little bit strange that some people can underestimate, or even dismiss, the enormous amount of research and testing that manufacturers do before making their recommendations.

But feel free to try other grades in your engine, but I wouldn’t be claiming that the manufacturers haven’t considered the whole range of oil viscosities and the typical operating-temperature and cold-starting-temperatures experienced by their engines.

I wouldn't take it as gospel...

Does 15,000K changes with V6 ring any bells?

So yes, try other grades for sure

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
By variables I mean engine component changes and high mileage.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

Actually, blame Mort .......... he put up the original video and wanted to know if he should star an oil thread.
I PMd him and agreed, coz I love reading controversies rather than conspiracies. :)