Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ok i'll keep the cat, can i get rid of the muffler?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Why god why do people insist on butchering standard exhausts in search of a third of a horsepower?!? Do yourself and your car a favour, if you have a hundred bucks sitting around this week and are thinking about hacking a muffler out, perhaps wait a month or two till you have a few MORE hundreds sitting around, and then do it properly!

And by properly I mean headers back. If I have to listen to another 6 into 1 into 1.5" into fart cannon exhaust today, I will hurt someone.

Your driving Commodores kids, the Generals pride and joy. Show some respect.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
For performance bigger is not better.

You talk of restriction, a bigger exhaust can actually produce more back pressure than a smaller one. What you really need is exhaust velocity. It's not about how much exhaust gas you can move, but rather how fast you can move it.

If you want noise, by all means dump it at the diff, but if it is performance you are after then fit a 2 1/4" tail pipe to the 2 1/2" front section and you will be surprised at how much torque you regain.

A decent set of extractors, the standard cat and a proper exhaust will give you more response, better acceleration but very little "power". To gain more power the engine needs to be modified.

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
You can only dump near the diff if its 40cm behind the last perminently welded or sealed join in the floorpan. Basically that means, you can only do it if you have a ute.

i thought it was u can stop the exhaust with no less than 330mm from the end of the rear door

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
^^^ That is like a secondary rule to the one mentioned by Andrew for instances in which your planning on having the exhaust exit out the side.... I think... although its illegal in australian to have exhausts come out the side... I'm really not too sure on this one... hmmm

Think of it this way... you have grommets in the boot... if the exhaust fumes get in the boot... they will get in the cabin...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can have the exhaust exit out the side as long as they are between 15 and 45 degrees from horizontal and are behind the rear wheel.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Ah... thats right... thus why AC cobra's have dummy exhausts while f250's have it out the side behind the rear wheel...

Thanks for clearing that up!

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
when i got my rwc.. the mechanic didnt say crap bout my 1 reso/muffler..

you wouldnt wanna have a straight straw muffler, sounds so crap LOL.. ive tryed it bout 2yrs ago lasted me a few days then had to put it back on *scratches head* wat was i thinking :0