Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Older drivers make mistakes too.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I was out running today; old lady drives down wrong side of busy road and as such uses a complex intersection incorrectly. I was like WTF??

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
that's a bit rough mate, I think we've all been guilty of underestimating the seriousness of an accident. He wasn't disrespectful and paid his respects to the victim once he realised how serious it was, even before your reply.

Thanks mate. Grief is a very powerful emotion, it can make it hard to be objective. I am not offended by their post, just disappointed that someone was able to read something bad into my post.

I didnt think I said anything disrespectful at all, and even in the original post I said 'They spent well over an hour stabilising him before they could put him in the chopper, but he was alive when he left I think. I hope he is ok.'

Again, my sympathies to him and his, and my apologies to those who may have been offended by my post. Certainly not deliberate.

Last edited:

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound...

As an "older" driver on this forum, I have views that might surprise.

I am aware that my reflexes and physical capabilites have diminished since I attained my license over 40 years ago. I support more frequent testing of older drivers, not only in regards to their capacity(ie medical fitness) to drive, but also as to their knowledge of the road rules. The rules have changed many times during my 40 plus years on the road and I doubt that I have kept up with some of them. My employment ensured that I was aware of the major changes but four years of retirement means that my source of information has dried up. Many older/old drivers fail to keep up to date with the changes and simply carry on as they always have, failing to comply with speed limits, keeping in the wrong lanes on multi laned roads and not having a bloody clue about roundabouts.

I believe that the entire licensing system, regardless of which state you reside in, is in need of a major overhaul. Why each state has different rules defies logic and it can lead to accidents where an interstate motorist breaks the laws in another state. Licensing reviews should be carried out at regular intervals during a driver's lifetime and medical checks should be introduced much earlier than they are at present.

My father in law lost his license on medical grounds at the age of 81 but he should have had the sense to surrender it years earlier. His judgement of distance and speed was seriously impaired and his car bore many scars from parking lot scrapes. He ram-raided the garage wall in our house one day when he hit the accellerator instead of the brake and decided to reverse into a truck at a petrol station on another occasion after refuelling. Talking to him about surrendering the license met with stony silence. How many more are there out there just like him - those who maintain their right to freedom of movement, to the potential detriment of the safety of others?

I just hope I have the sense to know when it's time to call it quits and not need a doctor or family member to tell me it's time.

How will you determine that you're too old to drive Calaber?

A couple of people I know of have hung up the car keys. One drove through a red light and hit another car. Another had a memory lapse and had no idea where they were - and ended up parked in a stranger's garage.
The point I'm making is they both were happily driving up until the "event" that made them realize they were not fit to drive anymore.

pinky1

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden berlina
ok thanks for the apology and yes grief is hard to cope with, even if you dont know the person personally. I was with Greg almost from start to just before chopper arrived and will not go into more detail out of respect but his condition was critical. When you are put in a situation where you have no choice but to be srong and cope you just do. Anyone who has had to help at an accident scene will know that it is hard, it is emotional, it hurts and it leaves you feeling very raw and vunerable emotionally.When I saw the liven up the day comment i reacted and badly as you know as you where on the receving end of my comment. Hope we can move on from here and please if anyone has a spare minute around ten on monday please say a pray for Greg as that is when he is having his funeral but please mate be careful what you say if his family or friends had read that I think they would have been devestated at that comment be safe on the roads everyone and just to stay on my soap box a little more evereryone should do there first aid training you just never know when you may be called on to help someone out

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thankyou, I wasnt offended by your post, simply surprised. I understand your immediate reaction, trauma is difficult to deal with.

I'd also like to point out if I may that the unfortunate victim Greg isn't the only victim. I am sure the lady did not deliberately cause the accident, but as there can be no doubt it was her fault, both her and her husband must be severely traumatised, as of course will be family and friends on both sides in varying degrees. Its a high price for them all to pay for what may easily have been a momentary distraction, which all of us have on occasion.

Navarre

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice and VU SS
In Queensland, section 40 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road Rules) Regulation 2009, otherwise cited as the Queensland Road Rules, provides the following:

Making a U-turn at an intersection with traffic lights
A driver must not make a U-turn at an intersection with traffic lights unless there is a U-turn permitted sign at the intersection.”

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Well I wouldn't suggest putting that theory to the test in Qld..... unless you want a ticket
no u-turns at traffic lights permitted unless there is a 'u-turn permitted' sign present

I appreciate the point that such turns are only permitted at select locations which are signposted. I was of the opinion that it was a general concession. However, it IS a good example of just how much difference there exists between the states in relation to traffic laws. As I said, in NSW it's just not permitted, full stop. A NSW motorist travelling in Qld would not expect a car to be performing a U turn at lights, (unless they were familiar with Qld laws), and any dill that did such a turn at a legally permitted location under the wrong circumstances could end up involved in a serious collision. It's a rule that needs to be standardised nationwide. Doubtless, there are plenty of others.

Melbourne's J turns are obviously a provision for trams. Sydney last saw trams in 1961 (unless you include the new limited line through Haymarket) and didn't have the J turn law even when they were running. What does Adelaide do for tram/car intersections? Obviously, trams are a different matter and laws need to accommodate them where they operate, but why the states can't agree on all other standard intersections, for example, is a mystery.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
How will you determine that you're too old to drive Calaber?

A couple of people I know of have hung up the car keys. One drove through a red light and hit another car. Another had a memory lapse and had no idea where they were - and ended up parked in a stranger's garage.
The point I'm making is they both were happily driving up until the "event" that made them realize they were not fit to drive anymore.

That's not such a difficult question to answer if you are really honest with yourself.

Over recent years, as my kids have grown, I hae been the recipient of comments from them about the way I drive. I'm "too slow" (I really try to adhere to speed limits because NSW treats speeding drivers like criminals and as a superannuee, I don't have a lot of spare cash to throw away in fines). I'm "too hesitant" at roundabouts. (I actually treat the other motorists like turds who don't know the rules about yielding to vehicles already on the roundabout, so I don't just barge in). Over time, these comments start to undermine your confidence as a driver. I would much rather drive by myself as I am more relaxed and able to drive with the level of caution that makes me comfortable, without nagging about speed or whatever. I'm not one of those old bastards who sits in the high speed lane at 20k's below the speed limit - my place on freeways and multi-lane roads is in the left lane and the world can fly by safely on my right. I detest shitheads who want to sniff my exhaust from ten feet behind me, regardless of our speed and I maintain a long safe distance from the car in front. All this is simply defensive driving and it's kept me out of strife for a long time, but I know that within a few years, I will feel less and less comfortable within myself as I drive.

That's when I will decide enough is enough. I won't need to be pushed.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
So perhaps you've become a better driver as the years rolled on?
Years of driving experience drive home the fact that defensive driving gives you the best chance of survival and arriving at your destination.

The problem I see with older (and for that matter not so old) drivers is the decrease in physical abilities affecting their driving skills. Things like like failing eyesight and mobility.
It doesn't matter how switched on you are, the physical decline is the biggest concern.
Have a look at the vid below and tell me one car maker that is taking heed of older drivers needs.
Most being released to the market are hard to see out of with blind spots and restricted visibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Draco

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
The old " age vs experience" argument has never had allot of support over the years.
These days the cause of a large proportion of crashes and near misses is simply distraction.
I admit that I have given myself a bit of a scare on more than one occasion when I have not been focused fully on driving.
The only time that I have crashed since the 80's has been on the race track and if I was the cause of a crash on the road,
I would certainly look at handing in my licence.
I have been teaching junior race driving and advanced race driving techniques for over 30 years and have found
the same problems occur on the race track as on the road.

It drives me mental these days to see the way that people drive, it is as though they are still at the office or at home
and not in a 1200kg missile.

That's my say .
Cheers.