Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega & Berlina to get "premium" engine

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I remember that the VN and VP were heavily criticised because of their massive low end torque and this was softened a bit in the VR. I think power increased from about 128 kw to 147 in the VR from the earlier models and the maximum torque was developed slightly higher in the rev band. This affected the VR's take off speed a bit. Actually, I used the VR in my earlier post becaue I had misread CSP's post about the VE being faster that the earlier models. He referred to an 18 year old Commodore (ie VP) with the VE and I mistakenly worked on the 15 year old model (VR). With the lower torque band of the VP, and the lighter weight, it would have been quicker off the mark than the VR, but run out of puff sooner, and probably been overhauled by both the VR and VE by the end of the quarter. Interesting to watch, but I doubt we'll ever get the chance.

The VR was only 130kw, not 147. Wheels recorded times of 8.0 seconds 0-100 and a 1/4 mile of 15.5 for the VP where as VR received a 0-100 of 9.2 and a 1/4 mile of just over 16 seconds. Both had faster times recorded in other magazines, but they reflected that gap. The VE Omega has recorded pretty well spot on times to the VP of around 8 seconds 0-100 and mid 15 second quarter mile. I'll try and find the exact times.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Have to admit that the power outputs of the various models from VN to VS have eluded me. I seem to recall that the VS Ecotech had a fair jump in power over the VR - was that from 130 to 147kw?

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
That 6 speed auto is called the 6L50 and it is just a lower rated version of the 6L80 used in the current V8's. Same performance, just doesn't handle as much weight or torque. Its good for 450NM.
One thing i haven't herd from the 6 speed commodore drivers (outside of mags) Is issues with them. So here is hoping they are good.
Have to admit that the power outputs of the various models from VN to VS have eluded me. I seem to recall that the VS Ecotech had a fair jump in power over the VR - was that from 130 to 147kw?
Yep that was the one.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
One thing i haven't herd from the 6 speed commodore drivers (outside of mags) Is issues with them. So here is hoping they are good.

Yep that was the one.

Yeah thats true. The funny thing is, they use the same box in BMW's. Well, its the 6L45 rather than 6L50. And don't see too many complaints about the box in BMW's either.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Yeah thats true. The funny thing is, they use the same box in BMW's. Well, its the 6L45 rather than 6L50. And don't see too many complaints about the box in BMW's either.
Might be the 3 letter word:D.. Same with Cadillac no complaints over the 5 speed auto, I had no complaints about the auto myself..
I don't know i think our car writers sometimes are bored people with no lives - and need to moan about something:D.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
I don't know i think our car writers sometimes are bored people with no lives - and need to moan about something:D.

you have hit the nail on the head my sir, it all comes down 1. what brands the writer favors 2. which manufacturer is sponsoring the magazine at that time. 3. the writer may not personally like something that you do

as bad as it seems that's what happens, and any journalistic review will be biased, that why your better off testing the car yourself and making a judgment, reading a car review is like asking your parents how is a baby made when your 4 years old

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
This boot doesn't have a 2 cases of beer!. Your getting a **** right up!.
My mother worked at the Herald sun. And she would tell me story's of the hard arses there and all there little secrets.
P.S don't read horoscopes, If they don't have that days they use ones from last month.