Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OOOH No My Tire Went Bang on the "Q"

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Two Days ago at 5.24 AM our HQ GTS 308 blew a Front tyre, The Security camera pick it and bought out a General Alarm that woke the lot of us. It is a Quality USA Goodyear P 245/60R15. I have the similar but wider on the rear and they are 275. The Bang was heard around the house, Tyre pressure were slightly under at 32 LBS, The 4 Tyres have done only 150 Miles from new and I imported them in The US when I got myself a two Muncies and one 12 bolt rear end to suit the HQ + the Centrelines Wheels. They are quality tyres, HOW DARE this quality tire has done this!!!! oooOOOO I forgot to tell you this I bought them back in 1978,,,,,, that's 46 years ago LOL.lol.lol.
I will buy 2 new Goodyear close to what I have now, and the rear 275 I will lower the tyre pressure from 28 LBS to 24 LBS at the same time I will check the gauge is reading correctly.

It Went BANG!!!

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Two Days ago at 5.24 AM our HQ GTS 308 blew a Front tyre, The Security camera pick it and bought out a General Alarm that woke the lot of us. It is a Quality USA Goodyear P 245/60R15. I have the similar but wider on the rear and they are 275. The Bang was heard around the house, Tyre pressure were slightly under at 32 LBS, The 4 Tyres have done only 150 Miles from new and I imported them in The US when I got myself a two Muncies and one 12 bolt rear end to suit the HQ + the Centrelines Wheels. They are quality tyres, HOW DARE this quality tire has done this!!!! oooOOOO I forgot to tell you this I bought them back in 1978,,,,,, that's 46 years ago LOL.lol.lol.
I will buy 2 new Goodyear close to what I have now, and the rear 275 I will lower the tyre pressure from 28 LBS to 24 LBS at the same time I will check the gauge is reading correctly.

It Went BANG!!!

Lucky it wasn't the day that you where driving it.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I would change them all.

I think you can get modern look alikes of those GY eagls plus the BS eagers too.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wouldn't worry about the pressures so much.....Have the wheels hanging so the tyres aren't taking the weight of the car....Goes a little way to help and also prevents flat spots on the tyres from lack of use.

If you want the older style tyres, be prepared to pay through the nose...They are available through a company called Antique tyres...Based in Vic.....I believe they import direct from the US....

Can get the details of them if need be...

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
More
Lucky it wasn't the day that you where driving it.
Yes!!! The Last time I drove it was when we moved to our new house 12 years ago and I gave the old girl 7500,7500 when I left with smoke. Just as well I don't have front wheel drive otherwise the tyre would have gone bang.

For the Moment I will get two Quality Goodyear tyre's just for the front as you all know I don't drive the Car.

Reactions: Lex

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wouldn't worry about the pressures so much.....Have the wheels hanging so the tyres aren't taking the weight of the car....Goes a little way to help and also prevents flat spots on the tyres from lack of use.

If you want the older style tyres, be prepared to pay through the nose...They are available through a company called Antique tyres...Based in Vic.....I believe they import direct from the US....

Can get the details of them if need be...
The 4 tyres come from the USA as you know. I expect to pay up $250 for one tyre so $500 for both. Lately I have been spending $$$$$ in the last 6 months, Told the Wife I need to stop spending, never ends.
Stupid me I have got some wooden blocks from Bunnings just for this and they are still sitting the other garage. The Diff is 12 Bolt and has Summer Bros Axils with Floating bearing where the Wheel is and the axil is held there via C Clips in the posi track centre and YES I was told to take the weight off the car if sitting for a long time it. (eg") Damage the bearings.
I want to get Goodyear tyres and if they are similar to the Originals I would be happy but not necessary. Any Suggestions on Good year, Remember I dont drive the car outside the front gate, all I do is wake the neighbour around midday with the thumping exhaust.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have a LOOK. The Tyre is so NEW and never driven on a wet road so you can see the marking/painted numbering in the center of the tyre when it normally washes away with some rainy days. Remember I got them in 1978. I'm a Trucked unit.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would change them all.

I think you can get modern look alikes of those GY eagls plus the BS eagers too.
For the Moment I will just find Goodyear for the Front..... 245/60/R15 is hard to get on any Goodyear range.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Says a lot about old tires...