Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Operation High Quality low budget VE Calais.

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
Just joined here. Thought I would create a post to journal my audio build up as I go. This is on my VE Calais... Sorry for dodgy pic. Yet to get some decent ones.

The Gear:

Stock Holden iQ Premium Head Unit (for now :whistling )
JBL MS-8 Processor - No local sellers. Bought from Amazon ~$500 -My reason for this processor 1-Can set up, calibrate and tune myself. 2-Has internal 18w amp, so I can run an active front stage (4x100w), rear (18w) and Subs(1000w) with the processor controlling time delay and levels for all speakers.
Hertz HSK165 Splits - Bought from eBay for $135, local retail is ~$500
Jaycar Kevlar 5.25 Coax - $80
2x Farenheit 10" DVC 4 Ohm subs - Bought many years ago for $150 each and never used.
Jaycar 4x100wrms Amp - $259
Jaycar 1x1000wrms Amp - $299
Wire, Safety Switch, terminials, RCA's - Not really sure? About $150
Bulk pack of Dynamat - $150

So the total is about $1800 which is far from a cheap upgrade. But I already owned 1 of the amps and the subs. Plus I like this car and will have it a while. Everything in this list is considerably cheaper than the alternatives

It all looks like this...

First up I sound deadened the doors. I removed the plastic lining and gave the inside and outside of the doors a complete cover of Dynamat. I wanted to put a solid cover over the holes in the doors but this proved too difficult due to odd shapes and by this stage I couldn't be arsed and just covered it in Dynamat...

Just this upgrade gave the stock speakers a noticeable improvement. I did this while a mate installed the King springs.

After some time I finally got around to the speaker install and wiring.

Ran into a few issues. First was where to tap into the speaker lines. I had planned on doing it at the loom into the head unit, but this was a bitch to get at. After thinking about it I realised I only required one stereo set of outputs as the JBL will look after fading etc. So tapped into the rear speaker lines in the base of the B Pillar. Amp power cables are easy as the battery is in the boot. Earth goes back to the negative terminal. Currently this still isn't installed properly as I am waiting to build the sub box. No pictures of wires cause that is pretty boring.

Another issue faced at this point was an accessories line. Plenty of internet searching lead me to the plug behind the glove box.

Next was custom baffles and installation of the speakers.
Front...

Back. No sound deadening here cause I can't see the benefit in it.

And the tweeter installation in the stock location on the dash. And removal of that nasty thing in the centre...

So a quick set up of the JBL and calibration and away I went. Sounds pretty good so far. I have not built the sub boxes yet. They will come in the next few weeks.

steelsabre

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 ute my12
nice :D anymore picture of the install ? Videos ??

I might have to get your advice on my system as i am doing something similar soon. Although in a ute.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Can't cover the bottom service holes, trims won't fit back on.

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
Can't cover the bottom service holes, trims won't fit back on.

^^ what he said. On the VE the door trim protrude into the door cavity. If you really want to do this right you can use your trim and make a fibre glass mild that you can then use to seal up the service hole properly. Might try this, although my mid bass is pretty strong as it is.

No new pics. Got a few other things going on right now needing my time. But should get in and build the sub box in a few weeks time.

Also getting some interference on the left side speaker. Need to get in a re-route my cables.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Hertz HSK165 Splits - Bought from eBay for $135, local retail is ~$500

I'd be highly hesistant to recommend this option to others, the amount of counterfeit speakers (yes, even speakers these days, /sigh @ the world) on eBay, especially Hertz, is too high of a risk to bother with.

If you were after cheap drivers and don't give a crap about brand fan boyism, buying cheap DIY speakers from the US can be very cost effective.

Recommended sites include:

Parts Express
Madisound
Connexelectronic

From DIY amps and crossovers to DIY enclosures, huge amounts of drivers etc. It's all there, with plenty of information to go with it. Can work out a lot cheaper too with the current dollar, postage costs being the only crux in the against argument.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
I'd be highly hesistant to recommend this option to others, the amount of counterfeit speakers (yes, even speakers these days, /sigh @ the world) on eBay, especially Hertz, is too high of a risk to bother with.

Yep. Apparently mine are the "fake" ones. And I'd still recommend them any day of the week. Over the last 15 years or so I have bought 6 pairs of splits ranging from $200 to $600 and these "fakes" are by far the best sounding ones, with the best packaging and instructions I have owned.

I personally think the fake propaganda has been spread by local wholesalers/retailers to protect themselves from grey imports, being sold for an actual fair price.

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
OP - nice system. I would be interested to see what you think of the MS-8.

I put up a review in that section should tell you a fair bit about my experience. It's a perfect processor for my needs (own power, no pro setup required). Definitely not the best out there. But awesome value for money.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Yep. Apparently mine are the "fake" ones. And I'd still recommend them any day of the week. Over the last 15 years or so I have bought 6 pairs of splits ranging from $200 to $600 and these "fakes" are by far the best sounding ones, with the best packaging and instructions I have owned.

I personally think the fake propaganda has been spread by local wholesalers/retailers to protect themselves from grey imports, being sold for an actual fair price.

I would be interested to know which you bought over the last 15 years... I've heard fake HSK-165 before and they were awful, the tweeter may as well have been poking a needle in your ear - I think it was just a generic very cheap tweeter in the 'Hertz' set...