Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions needed on header and OTR choices.

Slick_Vp_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV M6
Those ramjet 3’s are ugly things (my opinion) I saw a video dyno testing a couple of different OTR Intakes and vcm made the most power, admittedly they didn’t test the ramjet but I highly doubt you’d notice any difference between the 2 driving on the road anyhow
They are rather bland and yeah thought the same thing regarding performance. Pleased others haven’t had problems with the VCM. Well, I did see there were some problems with the earlier model but I haven’t seen anything about the newer one. Hoping it turns up soon.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
you can't go past the factory look of the VCM setup with the infil panels.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Get your headers "properly" ceramic coated.

No, not the paint stuff either.

Not all "ceramic coatings" are equal.

Ryan Licastro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE-SS S2
Those ramjet 3’s are ugly things (my opinion) I saw a video dyno testing a couple of different OTR Intakes and vcm made the most power, admittedly they didn’t test the ramjet but I highly doubt you’d notice any difference between the 2 driving on the road anyhow

I guess it comes down to personal preference...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Lots of reasons, thermal retention, thermal protection, corrosion protection.

The better question would be, why not.

If it's not to extract the most out of the engine then it's just to make them look pretty.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
If it's not to extract the most out of the engine then it's just to make them look pretty.

Extracting the most is the thermal retention IRT thermal and fluid dynamics.

Protecting other components in your engine bay from the heat, and keeping underbonner temps down is the thermal protection.

Stopping your parts from oxidizing and falling apart is the corrosion protection.

Yes, I suppose not having melted wires and oxidized parts makes your engine bay pretty.

This is why OEM manifolds have heat sheilds, to protect auxiliary components.

When we replace OEM parts with aftermarket, typically there is not thermal protection solution with it, this is why coating/wrapping/sheilding is recommended.

Meh, but then what would I know, I'm not an exhaust guru.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Extracting the most is the thermal retention IRT thermal and fluid dynamics.

Protecting other components in your engine bay from the heat, and keeping underbonner temps down is the thermal protection.

Stopping your parts from oxidizing and falling apart is the corrosion protection.

Yes, I suppose not having melted wires and oxidized parts makes your engine bay pretty.

This is why OEM manifolds have heat sheilds, to protect auxiliary components.

When we replace OEM parts with aftermarket, typically there is not thermal protection solution with it, this is why coating/wrapping/sheilding is recommended.

Meh, but then what would I know, I'm not an exhaust guru.

The difference in under bonnet temps is bugger all. Correctly installed headers won't melt anything.

Mild steel headers last 10 + years without corroding (apart from cracking, which stainless or ceramic coated headers will do anyway if they are going to crack).

Actually, the heat shields are to keep heat IN the manifold, thermodynamics 101.

Coating, wrapping, shielding is to keep heat in. Number one reason. Retaining heat allows exhaust to flow faster and more efficiently. Cold components (relative to the exhaust gas temp) will cool the gas that it contacts, thermal conductivity, and will slow the gas travelling through the pipe/manifold.

Ceramic coating typically increases HP by ~2%, $400 - $500 on maybe 5-7hp increase? Not economical. Ceramic coating on a 1000hp engine to extract an extra 20hp will make a difference down the quarter.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
The difference in under bonnet temps is bugger all. Correctly installed headers won't melt anything.

Mild steel headers last 10 + years without corroding (apart from cracking, which stainless or ceramic coated headers will do anyway if they are going to crack).

Actually, the heat shields are to keep heat IN the manifold, thermodynamics 101.

Coating, wrapping, shielding is to keep heat in. Number one reason. Retaining heat allows exhaust to flow faster and more efficiently. Cold components (relative to the exhaust gas temp) will cool the gas that it contacts, thermal conductivity, and will slow the gas travelling through the pipe/manifold.

Ceramic coating typically increases HP by ~2%, $400 - $500 on maybe 5-7hp increase? Not economical. Ceramic coating on a 1000hp engine to extract an extra 20hp will make a difference down the quarter.

I have found the difference in underbonnet temps to be significant.

Pretty sure my comment about coatings IRT fluid and thermal dynamics insinuates the "inside" part of the exhaust.

Anyways, from my experience, a small outlay on thermal protection from coating or wrapping has a large positive effect in both performance and reliability.

Over the last 20 odd years I've had every manifold/turbo and dump either coated or wrapped, or both, I've also used heat sleeves when needed.

When I'm building I always try and use best engineering principles and will always be happy to pay a little more for it.

In my opinion not using thermal protection is only doing half a job.

There is plenty of science backed evidence that supports my claims, and plenty of DNF's and early failures from people melting stuff.

In the end if you want best engineering principles you pay for it.

$500-800 isn't alot of money in the big picture, and if you want to do it on the cheap, just paint them with VHT paint and use a good wrap.

As per usual, opinions may vary, just like underbonnet temps and budgets.