Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions of VE

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I went from a VY to VE and the improvement is very impressive. The accuracy and responsiveness in the handling is the big difference. Also it doesn't feel as underbraked as previous models (although a brake upgrade is on my list of mods). The interior trims aren't up to scratch with other new cars but then the be has been around a while and was pretty up to date when it was released. Having said that, I'd take the ve interior over the nasty vinyl trim in the vy. The motor is a lot stronger low in the rev range... MUCH torquier (is that even a word?). Seating position is better too.... Much more comfortable. I've honestly not had a problem with the pillars (and mine's a ute). Yeah they're fat but so is every other new car on the market. The manual box is very strong for the V8, if a little clunky but its accurate enough and shifts are nice and quick. Some people have had clutch issues but mine is fine (touch wood). Also, this is the first ute I've had where there are basically no issues with grip in the wet... The esp is non-obtrusive and it's easy as to slide when you turn it off. Tons of fun.

seanssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6spd man with WP power pack
I own a 09 SSV and love it to bits. I've no mechanical problems either (touch wood), and everything abouth the car is fine with me. I love driving it when I get the chance(I also have a work truck) so on weekends I get out and stretch her legs. I was thinking of doing more mods to her apart from the Walkinshaw power pack upgrade, but at the the end of the day you can only do 110k's legally so there's not much point in turning into a rocket. Besides I love the power and handling I get out of it already. Good luck with your purchase, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Im purchasing a 06 SSV manual tomorrow, I currently drive a VX SS, and the difference was amazing. I fell in love with the VE as soon as I started taking some SS's for a test drive. The VE just has so much torque, where I seem to need to rev the old LS1 a bit to get power out of it.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I don't think build quality on any Holden built here is something to crow about. Mine is only a month old and i am already hunting squeaks and rattles.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Had three VEs. No significant issues. Any that I have had are straight forward warranty fixes.

Pillars are only an issue if you can't move your neck. There are NO blind spots on a car if you can move your head and know how you setup your mirrors correctly. People that whinge about the pillars are whinging pointlessly as there are EASY solutions.

ads1972

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
I have a 08 SSV ute, paid $35,000 in January and the best car I have owned. Getting an OTR and tune next week this will eliminate the shifting problems with the auto. Took a couple of weeks to get used to the fat A pillars especially at round a bouts. Crappy sound system was fixed with some 6" three ways replacing the stock paper coned speakers, which was easy thanx to great detailed pics from this forum on how to remove door trim to access speakers :)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Wow the VE's are popular. Do they still have shitty speakers? By now Holden should have woken up to themselves AND THROWN IN SOMETHING OTHER THAN 15 WATT KOREAN PAPER CONE CRAP!!!!

OZChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SS Sportswagon
By some strange alignment of planets, both my wife and I have VEs; a SS Sportwagon and a SIDI SV6 Sedan. Both have been excellent cars; I should point out that we have both come from Fords/Mazdas/etc and are pleased with the two VEs. However, I had the misfortune to have a VE Omega with old engine/gearbox and it was a very average experience.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
All Commodores are varying degrees of ****. They seem worse when you're driving BMW, Mercedes and Porsche all day. I certainly won't ever buy another one.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
All Commodores are varying degrees of ****. They seem worse when you're driving BMW, Mercedes and Porsche all day. I certainly won't ever buy another one.

You get what you pay for as the saying goes. I wouldn't spend much more than 30k on a car personally. For what my car does (mainly town driving) it's pointless to spend more imo. The ve i just bought is certainly not the best car available build quality wise but it does service my needs which is all i want.