Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions On Where Large Cars Are Going

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Hey. I was just curious as to everyones opinions on whether large cars are going to be viable on such a large scale in the coming future. Personally, I don't ever plan to own anything but a Commodore, be it stupidity or not. However, I'm sure you all know that small and medium sized car sales are goin through the roof, where as the sales of large cars, ie. Commodores and Falcons are more or less tapering off. Holden, having just spent "close to a billion dollars" (exactly what qualifies as close when you're talkin such large amounts I'm not sure) on the VE, must think there's a pretty solid future for large cars (I'm hinting towards big exports, and hopefully a mid-sized *Torana* hatch back and other nice variations lol). So yeah, what do you all think?

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Well about 10 years ago the Falcon and Commodore had 50% of the market and as petrol prices rose this is now less than 25%. The SUV market has hit it's peak as well, but it still is a strong market, hence the S3X.
Unless Ford and Holden don't start producing cars that producing cars that will run a cheaper fuel, I believe the Large car market woin't be viable in this country. Ford have started to combat this problem with the straight gas cars and Utes, but probably the best change of fuel would be to make the motors be able to run E85.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
its sad, but GM and Ford in the states are going broke, and honda and the small car guys are expanding
part of GM and Ford's inability to adapt has been due to unionism over there, which cripples the companys with massive pension plans, which is an issue which honda and the other small car manufacturers dont have to deal with, leading them to much cheaper labour.

add to that

younger people have a low perceived value of large and luxury cars these days, and only see a car as transport, not a statement of capitalistic status

Last edited:

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
haloeight said:
its sad, but GM and Ford in the states are going broke, and honda and the small car guys are expanding
part of GM and Ford's inability to adapt has been due to unionism over there, which cripples the companys with massive pension plans, which is an issue which honda and the other small car manufacturers dont have to deal with, leading them to much cheaper labour.

imagine if honda bought GM. a honda commodore........oh god what a horrible future

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
well like mentioned by vztrt, the big cars have got to cost less on fuel. if commodores, falcons, etc don't improve in terms of fuel consumption, then large cars will pretty much die one day

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
stocky said:
imagine if honda bought GM. a honda commodore........oh god what a horrible future
it'd be even worse if it became the Kia Commodore, or Daihatsu Commodore - a Commodore with a 0.6L 3 cylinder beast up front...haha

V

VX_KN079

Evman said:
Opinions On Where Large Cars Are Going

Wherever their drivers are pointing them? ;-) lol

No seriously I tend to agree. The days of the large (capacity) car are somewhat numbered although with new technology (such as displacement on demand) large cars (and V8s) they will always have their place.

With engine advances meaning they are lighter weight, putting out more power while improving fuel efficiency it is only the die hards and car enthusiasts (as well as Emergency Services) that will continue to buy V8's. I know once the L76 DoD technology is turned on for the VE (yes it's there now, no Holden didn't turn it on :mad: ) I will seriously consider the new VE SS, as fuel efficiency should be somewhere close to a V6.

I would REALLY love Holden to put something Torana like into production and if something like the SSX was released, I'd be one of the first lining up to buy it for sure! It balances the decent passenger sized car, the practicality of a hatch rather than a sedan (without going as big as a wagon) as well as having the sexy red instrumentation. Who knows? They may end up surprising EVERYONE in August/September - have to wait and see.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
vz_ss said:
it'd be even worse if it became the Kia Commodore, or Daihatsu Commodore - a Commodore with a 0.6L 3 cylinder beast up front...haha

If Holden stop building cars in OZ than you might up getting the FWD Daewoo Commodore. Holden has 3 Holden badged cars now that are from Daewoo.

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
Damn fine question and indeed the larger car market is shrinking, but I do think there will always be a place for large cars..
Take my situation for example I have a couple kids so I need a large car to get around.. Yes the fuel prices are worrying but what can I do, the fact holden are bringing out DoD technology on the VE i think will go a little bit towards bringing some of the market back imagine if they offered on the V6 so it drops back to 4cyl until you need the extra power...
Sure i could go out and buy some sort of a people mover but then I might as well cut my balls off as the car wont have any either..
I love my large rear drive cars and always will, given the amount of money both Holden and Ford put into them I'm you will see both of them bringing out new technology to make larger cars more fuel efficent and more viable with todays fuel prices..
I think the SUV and 4wd market wont grow much bigger I know several people that have bought them only to sell them 6 months later because they relised it was costing them more to run then a large car..

V

VX_KN079

TI0350 said:
the fact holden are bringing out DoD technology on the VE i think will go a little bit towards bringing some of the market back imagine if they offered on the V6 so it drops back to 4cyl until you need the extra power

It's unlikely that DoD will be on 6cyl cars in the foreseeable future. It's only new to V8's and the timing would be harder to do on a V6. Dropping 4 cyls on a V8 is realatively easy to manage. And I should also point out that it's only the L76 that will be getting DoD (AFAIK) so if you want it, you'll need to fork out for a V8. That said, a V8 running a DoD engine usually end up with V6 fuel efficiency. Depends on your driving style though...