Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Orange VH

mention1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sedan. '79 Corvette VF II SV6 Wagon
Hi,
I used to work for GH-H at Dandenong around 1981-82. During that time we made VH Commodores as well as Camira's and ISUZU trucks.

I remember that we made a batch of Orange VH 253 cu manual sedans. This wasn't a current colour and I think they had a 5 speed box which was also unusual. They didn't come down the line in one hit, there were 3 or 4 per day for several weeks so all up there were about 100 made. To this day I don't know who bought them or where they were headed and I sure would like to know. Does anyone know? Could it be some sort of Emergency Services car, or maybe for a mine? Or perhaps a prize that some company gave out (similar to the Mary Kay Pink cars we produced over the years, but that's another story).

Working there was good fun and after starting there in the paint booth I was promoted to the Production Control team, who was in charge of knowing where every car was at anytime on the line. It took exactly 5 days to produce a car.

Anyway, any info would be greatly received.

Many thanks.
Andy.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L

VH in Papya colour might be what your thinking of.

They are 253/4 speed combo, with two tone cord cloth/vinl SL/X style interior.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Telecom used to run orange vehicles around that time, I almost bought an ex-Telecom WB one-tonner in roughly that colour (was kicking myself that I didn't later), from memory it was a 253 as well?

Probably about the right sized fleet to order 100 vehicles at one time too, although I don't know why they'd order manuals?

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
although I don't know why they'd order manuals?

I agree. They sound like some special sports option pack of sorts, did they have the sports dash and dual exhaust?

82 vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh
Yeah probably the papaya versions. There are still some around also.

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
The only Holden/HSV special that is uglier than the GTS-R lol

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Hi,
I used to work for GH-H at Dandenong around 1981-82. During that time we made VH Commodores as well as Camira's and ISUZU trucks.

I remember that we made a batch of Orange VH 253 cu manual sedans. This wasn't a current colour and I think they had a 5 speed box which was also unusual. They didn't come down the line in one hit, there were 3 or 4 per day for several weeks so all up there were about 100 made. To this day I don't know who bought them or where they were headed and I sure would like to know. Does anyone know? Could it be some sort of Emergency Services car, or maybe for a mine? Or perhaps a prize that some company gave out (similar to the Mary Kay Pink cars we produced over the years, but that's another story).

Working there was good fun and after starting there in the paint booth I was promoted to the Production Control team, who was in charge of knowing where every car was at anytime on the line. It took exactly 5 days to produce a car.

Anyway, any info would be greatly received.

Many thanks.
Andy.

papaya was the colour as Damo says... on SLX sedans. 4.2 l 4 speed versions were the order of the day.

ps.. you are pretty correct about 5 days to make one. I used to cost out what you made at the VAP ( I worked with Peter Cox the Plant Comptroller at Dandenong)
and we allowed 37 hours to make one :)

mention1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sedan. '79 Corvette VF II SV6 Wagon
Yes SL/E Nut that's it!!!

Thanks for the photo, brings back memories. I still don't know why they were built and who bought them. I suppose it was a special Pack, similar to the "Vacationer" in Voodoo Blue.

Sure would like to have bought one myself but I was just starting out in the work force then and the only Commodores available for staff were 4 cylinder ones with air conditioning and power steering, which was someone's idea of a joke.

Thanks Smitty too. My boss was Mervyn Brown.

Sorry Derek I can't remember that much detail. Think they were the standard SL/X dash.

I can't believe that we will stop making cars in this country in the next 2 years. What a travesty. I don't think they have thought it through. What are the cops going to use? Or the limo drivers? Fuming I am! :banstick:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Thanks for the photo, brings back memories. I still don't know why they were built and who bought them. I suppose it was a special Pack, similar to the "Vacationer" in Voodoo Blue.

Sure would like to have bought one myself but I was just starting out in the work force then and the only Commodores available for staff were 4 cylinder ones with air conditioning and power steering, which was someone's idea of a joke.

geez .. that comment about the 4 banger Commodore brought back a memory or two

I was given one to DRIVE to Brisbane .. to Acacia Ridge. Normally I flew and someone collected me from the airport
but this time.. you can drive the Commodore and you can use it as long as you like. So I took a weeks break as well...

That Commodore (5 spd manual, air p/steer) would do about 130kmh flat out.. down a slope :)
On the flat it was good for just over 120.. and I drove it like that for hours. WOT it was .. all the way
and I am glad GMH picked up the fuel bill ;)

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
geez .. that comment about the 4 banger Commodore brought back a memory or two

I was given one to DRIVE to Brisbane .. to Acacia Ridge. Normally I flew and someone collected me from the airport
but this time.. you can drive the Commodore and you can use it as long as you like. So I took a weeks break as well...

That Commodore (5 spd manual, air p/steer) would do about 130kmh flat out.. down a slope :)
On the flat it was good for just over 120.. and I drove it like that for hours. WOT it was .. all the way
and I am glad GMH picked up the fuel bill ;)

You forgot the tail wind as well