Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] OTR for use with 68mm PWR radiator

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Team,

I have just purchased a VY SS ute that has had a heap of work done on the powertrain and supporting systems. One of the upgrades is the use of a 68mm VZ style PWR radiator. I have two OTRCAI (plastic) systems available and neither of them are suitable because of the additional 13mm in depth over the stock radiator. Does anyone know of what brand OTR will fit a VY/VZ running a 68mm radiator as opposed to the standard 55mm?

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
good luck, im using the same in my VE when im ready to fit it in think im going to cut out/repair the OTR to suit the depth, i was going to ask harrop just encase first but not sure if any suit

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
good luck, im using the same in my VE when im ready to fit it in think im going to cut out/repair the OTR to suit the depth, i was going to ask harrop just encase first but not sure if any suit
The guy I purchased the ute from told me there were two brands that worked but he could not recall the names. He could have been telling porkies too - will not know until I do the research. I do have two standard OTR that I may be able to "customise" as well. I would prefer to get something fir for purpose though.

I am reaching out the manufacturers and will let you know what I find.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
By any chance would one of those be a DuSpeed?
Just throwing a potential name out there for you

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
mine is the VCM OTR it will suit a slightly larger radiator just not the 68mm bout 10-15mm too short for the bottom of the OTR on the radiator to fit as it should

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
mine is the VCM OTR it will suit a slightly larger radiator just not the 68mm bout 10-15mm too short for the bottom of the OTR on the radiator to fit as it should
I have two similar to the VCM and neither of them work The radiator is too high and too wide to make it work, so I am not sure if an OTR is going to work with the setup I have.
By any chance would one of those be a DuSpeed?
Just throwing a potential name out there for you
I have had a look and without knowing what the setup is they look as thought they're also made for the standard setup. I will touch base and see what they can do.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks for the options team. Apart from chasing an off the shelf OTR solution I am working a couple of alternatives in the background. I may take them both to fruition and see what works best.

Option 1. Cut the bottom out of one of the OTRs I have and get it to fit then glass up a new bottom that is manufactured to suit the radiator setup. I know at least one of the systems I have in the shed is a fibreglass system so this may just work.

Option 2. I have acquired an old K&N CAI setup that draws air from behind the passenger headlight. It is a MAF style but I can simply delete that element by inserting some right diameter pipe and clamping it up. It is a smaller diameter than the SS inductions throttle body though - not sure how much of a restriction it would be though. I know from my bike building days that a long throat can sometimes be beneficial to performance. Not sure how it applies to an LS1 though. Does anyone have any experience using this type of setup on a cammed LS!? If so how did it perform, are you still using it, if you ditched it can you let me know why?

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Probably not of the biggest help, but one of the cars, LS2 has the air intake behind the passenger light.
Yes its cammed (231/241 113lsa)
But its also got a twin screw sitting on top, which gets fed air from the rear, so the intake with T/B runs down the passenger side into said cold air intake behind the light.
So slightly different set up in a way.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Then there is the Roto-fab option....

10161046.jpg

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks @VS 5.0. It is a similar to the K&N solution - the box is way more fancy though. They don't make them for the VY/VZ unfortunately or it could be an option..

Cheers n Beers
Jolls