Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over fueling VP 5ltr

Oldcomguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5ltr ute
Hi and sorry for the huge first post but I'm over it.
I have a VP 5Ltr thats hard to start (if it starts), poor running......once you get it started .......it currently will not start cos the plugs are carboned up......have cleaned them up plenty of times already but back to square one.....I've changed plugs, leads, temp sender/sensor, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, oxygen sensor, the engine was out and had a hone and rings fitted with a full gasket set to clean it up...I'm lost as to why it plays up so any suggestioins would be appreciated......computer has no fault codes registered.......
Oh and its dual fuel its a bugger to get started on gas but when it does fire on gas it runs better than petrol.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hi and sorry for the huge first post but I'm over it.
I have a VP 5Ltr thats hard to start (if it starts), poor running......once you get it started .......it currently will not start cos the plugs are carboned up......have cleaned them up plenty of times already but back to square one.....I've changed plugs, leads, temp sender/sensor, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, oxygen sensor, the engine was out and had a hone and rings fitted with a full gasket set to clean it up...I'm lost as to why it plays up so any suggestioins would be appreciated......computer has no fault codes registered.......
Oh and its dual fuel its a bugger to get started on gas but when it does fire on gas it runs better than petrol.
I had an 86 XF Falcon on duel fuel. It went okay on both gas and petrol. The wife drove it most of the time, and I would ask her to make sure she drove it on petrol at least one day a week. But I don’t think she did (just like she never checked the tyres or the water or the.......oh you know what I mean), anyway one day it just wouldn’t start on petrol very easily, and when it did start it ran like a bag of the proverbial! Now it ran okay on gas mind you. So I took it to the mechanic, and he told me that if it was not run on petrol regularly, (now don’t take this as gospel), then there were seals in the carburettor? that were not being lubricated and therefore were likely to dry up and affect the running of the engine.
Another problem I had once with a 2002 AU Falcon wagon, was when I was in Tassie. I filled it with too much petrol, like right to the brim! I got about half a k down the road and the car started running like ****! I quickly went back to the petrol station and accused them of selling dodgy petrol. I then had to call the RACV as we were on holiday and we had our caravan on the back and needed to get it sorted. The RACV guy plugged that diagnostic thingy in, but no faults were found.
When I explained to him about the petrol and I thought it might have been dodgy, he asked me did I overfill the tank? Er yep! He then got me to run it around the block a couple of times, and bingo! It started to run okay again. Lesson-don’t overfill the fuel tank because there needs to be some breathing space in the.........Oh lets hear the proper reason from one of our capable forum mechanics. Good luck!

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Yep, and I know they crap
I’m surprised there are not more people on this forum who have better knowledge than I about such matters, have not come up with possible answers to your problem! I guess they may be preoccupied with arguing about the validity of the Coronavirus, the vaccine and other related matters, rather than the fundamentals of the Just Commodores forum! I shouldn’t have to say this, but I apologise on behalf of those who are apparently preoccupied arguing the toss on such matters!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m surprised there are not more people on this forum who have better knowledge than I about such matters, have not come up with possible answers to your problem! I guess they may be preoccupied with arguing about the validity of the Coronavirus, the vaccine and other related matters, rather than the fundamentals of the Just Commodores forum! I shouldn’t have to say this, but I apologise on behalf of those who are apparently preoccupied arguing the toss on such matters!
WTF? That’s got nothing to do with OP or their question. You’ve brought a completely different topic into this thread.
If your knowledge is so good and better than everyone else’s, how about making a post with helpful information instead of your point of view on the forum.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
WTF? That’s got nothing to do with OP or their question. You’ve brought a completely different topic into this thread.
If your knowledge is so good and better than everyone else’s, how about making a post with helpful information instead of your point of view on the forum.
Ooh steady on! I was trying to be helpful in my first post, and as you can see I did suggest that perhaps somebody with a bit more knowledge than me would know better.
I suppose I was being slightly facetious in my follow up post, I do apologise for that.
Mind you, looking through some of the threads it seems there are plenty of facetious comments.
By the way, where in my post did I suggest that my knowledge is so good and better than everyone else’s? Or is that something you thought you would just throw in there to be inflammatory?
I have been affronted in this manner before by certain people making inaccurate and scurrilous remarks about what they in their minds perceived I’d written, as opposed to what I’d actually written. It seems to be habitual for some!
Let’s hope we can learn by my facetious comment and your inability to read posts properly and move on and adhere to the core fundamentals of the forum.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m surprised there are not more people on this forum who have better knowledge than I about such matters, have not come up with possible answers to your problem!