Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over heating problems

Wayno10

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
My 95 vs berlina decided to over heat and pop the water pump gasket , I changed that plus thermostat , went for a spin, temp went to 3/4 before fan kicked in , The engine seems quite hot but the radiator doesn't seem to be hot at all , it's spinning me out because I have to drive 6hrs in a few weeks and don't want to get abducted on the side of the highway

Wayno10

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
Hey mate the thermo seemed fine as I'm just starting to fix things myself it's all new to me , I did just bleed the lines , with the coke bottle manoeuvre , and when I cracked it at least 660 mls of coolent went into the radiator then steady stream of fluid from bleeder came next , I'm guessing this was the air bubble ? It's finally ideling at a nice temp but fan did not engage when it over heated the other day till 3/4 ,,, ? Would this be the temp sensors ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Very common when first filling the coolant system, need to make sure you bleed it properly.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Did you turn on heater when bleeding system? Does your low speed fan work? Sounds like only high speed is working and that doesn't come on until about 3/4..
You might need to bleed it a few times using the bleed screw.

Wayno10

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
Cheers man just finished that once cracked at least 600 mls of coolent went into radiator then steady stream of fluid from bleeder next , it seems to idle at a low temp now but when it did over heat fans only engaged at 3/4 , temp sensor issues ?
Did you turn on heater when bleeding system? Does your low speed fan work? Sounds like only high speed is working and that doesn't come on until about 3/4..

Wayno10

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
Ah , nope I didn't turn heater on , il do that on tomorrow's bleed , na fan only comes on when it's getting quite warm , it should be turning on earlier , why this problem you think ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Maybe fan problem. I think there are 2 relays for the fan speeds, the low speed relay or fuse might be cactus?
Every car I've worked on needs the heater on when doing a coolant change to allow full circulation of coolant to get air out.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
On some VS models, there were two different models of temperature sender available which drive the dash board gauge, but are not used to operate the fans. One of those models reads somewhat higher than the other, and in that case the thermo fan will only run on high from around the 3/4 mark. (Mine's one of them.)

fireballv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 1 Berlina wagon
I had heaps of problems with my VS 2 Aclaim with temp readings. it turned out to be the earth wire from the engine to battery was frayed. voltage drop was causing the high temp reading