Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating issue

XxL1TH1UMxX

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
hey guys i have a vr may be different to use but my car has a new radiator and it always goes up to the bar just underhalf way then the fan kicks in ... it may also be the temperature guague may need replacing which is located under the alternator .. alternativeely you could justwire up the fan to run all the time .. thats what im doing just waiting for my switches off ebay

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe you could locate some of this stuff:
"Use Dye-Lite TP-3900 to find water/coolant leaks in radiators, water hoses, heaters, water pumps, freeze plugs, gaskets, etc. "
Not sure if it's available in Australia but you add it to the coolant and use a UV lamp to locate the leak.
However, if you are 100% sure that no hoses, heater tap, heater, thermostat housing etc are leaking, that leaves the inlet manifold gasket still as a prime suspect....OR, you could just add some "stop leak" to the system - cannot do any harm.

astormsau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II
New guage sender unit will make the dash guage more 'accurate' in terms of what its showing you. Mine used to get to 3/4 before the fan would kick in at low speed. Replaced the sender and now the fan kicks in at 1/2 way on the dash. Much more assuring!

Drew

1slyvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS, 96 VS v6 wag
try an 81 degree thermostat they open 10 degrees before the original ones

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
When you replaced the radiator and refilled it with coolant, did you properly bleed the air from the system? Are you positive that the thermo fans are working?