Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating issues

TayTay

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega “Lumina”
None of you understand. Deleting the post.

Last edited:

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
could be any issue here, adding 6 L of oil to engine will majorly over fill it.
take to mechanic i would say, you seem to know very little. little knowledge is dangerous, especially with a 1.5tonne worth of metal moving on the roads.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi guys, just after some assistance.. On the 20/04/2024, I bought a 6 Litre bottle of oil for my car and forgot to put it in and drove to pick a mate up ‍♀️ , as I turned the corner I looked down and the temp was on the line just under H. I immediately pulled over and turned the car off you could smell that it was hot, I let it cool for roughly half hour the motor was warm but cool enough to rest my hand on for a few minutes. I then had to drive home as I had no other option. I drove for roughly 5-10 minutes as I was driving it home I was taking it easy, when the speedo hit 40kms the temp would stay at a stable temp but anything over or under 40kms would make the temp gauge rise. I got home we let it sit for a bit then added the 6Litres of oil while it was still hot as i believe it was dry. Roughly an hour or so later we took the car for a test drive and it seemed fine, like it was back to normal, we then drove home dropped my partner off as he was unwell and I had to go drop a mate off, as I was driving the Coolant Temp was sitting in between 112-118 degrees. At 6:37pm 01/05/2024 when I turned my car on and let it run, idling for roughly not even 10 minutes the Coolant Temp was 84 degrees and the Trans Sump Temp was 34 degrees. Just wondering if someone could help me out with what the normal idling temperatures are meant to be. Everything I’ve looked at has been a different temperature. Thanks In Advance!
Firstly, you’ve checked the dip stick oil level, yeah? Pull it out. Wipe with a paper towel. Put back in and then pull out again. On level ground.

You don’t want that oil level above the top mark too much.

As for the coolant, you need a fair bit of equipment to make sure there’s no trapped air.

You are not driving a 1979 Datsun Stanza or a HX Kingswood.

TayTay

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega “Lumina”
could be any issue here, adding 6 L of oil to engine will majorly over fill it.
take to mechanic i would say, you seem to know very little. little knowledge is dangerous, especially with a 1.5tonne worth of metal moving on the roads.
Well considering it takes 6.7L of oil and had none in it would tell me that 6L wouldn’t overfill it. I do know abit thankyou very much don’t need to be so judgemental when people ask question hey…

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Did you actually check the oil level on the dipstick after adding 6 litres worth? That is a lot of oil, just because it’s not showing on the dipstick doesn’t mean it’s completely empty

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Did you actually check the oil level on the dipstick after adding 6 litres worth? That is a lot of oil, just because it’s not showing on the dipstick doesn’t mean it’s completely empty
I was wondering if the oil had been emptied to be changed?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think running oil as low as it was, even for a short period of time, would result in the motor making a few "unusual noises", more than a temperature fluctuation......

So it does make me wonder, is there more to this post or not?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Over heating can be caused from a number of factors,
Leaking _
Coolant Cap,
Coolant refill neck seal/o-ring
Radiator,
Heater Tap,
Water Pump,
Radiator Hoses,
Cooling Seals,
o-rings,
Heater hoses,
Heater pips,
Thermostat housing [oh dear, not the thermostat housing, I have nightmares of this repair/job !] :eek:

To name a few, so it would be best to investigate where it has leaked from and repair accordingly.

Last edited: