Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating, Wats Left????

fitykemp

VH SL/E 1981
Reaction score
Members Ride
81 SL/E
Ok the vh is still over heating. It does wat most do and stays at highway temp on the highway, but as soon as you slow down it creeps right up and wont drop even if back on the highway. These are the things iv done so far.

1. Radiator Cap
2. Radiator Flush
3. New hoses, coolent, 160degree thermostat
4. Replaced temp sensor and gauge
5. 16inch Thermo fan set to come on half way between highway temp and too hot.

Wats left, the water pump seems to be fine, checked timming, but im not sure where 6degreesBTDC is on the lil timing marker. Could it be the radiator core or a bloked water jacket?

sorry about the long post

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Are you running only 1 16" electric fan?
If so theres your problem I used to run a 18" electric on my VK with a 4 core radiator as well as a 14" on the aircon core and the thing still used to overheat on days above 30degrees in traffic.
Put a clutch fan on the car and your problems will be solved Im almost definite of it.

It could be a radiator core, have a chat to a local radiator shop about gettin git checked out.

Unlikely but not impossible to get a blocked water jacket but there would have to be some serious amounts of crap in your cooling system to do it, then your radiator would probably be blocked as well.

Previously I have cleaned out a cooling system of a car I bought with a caustic based washing detergent, ran the car for a while then drained & flushed the entire cooling system.

With my car I even removed the thermostat completely and fitted a restrictor plate inplace of it which didnt even help much.

cheers
Scott

fitykemp

VH SL/E 1981
Reaction score
Members Ride
81 SL/E
Yeh only one 16" thermo mounted on the back of the radiator pulling the air through it. I was advised that one 16 would do the trick. So do you reckon if i removed the aircon condensor and put the thermo on the front of the radiator to push air through, and then put my clutch fan back on it should be fine?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Simply the clutch fan on its own would be fine, I had my 14" mounted infront of my aircon core replacing the standard original one which was crap anyway :)

cheers
Scott

fitykemp

VH SL/E 1981
Reaction score
Members Ride
81 SL/E
cheers mate, ill try with both cos im unsure of the condition of the clutch fan. cant hurt to have em both? and iv allready got the thermo so i may as well. ill let ya know if this fixes her.

thanks again

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Shouldnt hurt to have both of them I would set the 16" at a fairly high temp so it would mainly come on if the temp was getting say just over 1/2 way.

cheers
Scott

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Hold on before fitting any of these mods, go back and remember these vehicles were built with non of these extras and the vehicle was designed to run in all temps and conditions. I had a customers car that kept overheating because the water pump impeller was badly corroded away and you couldnt tell from the outside. Yes I agree with getting the radiator cleaned out by a professional shop but setting the car back to standard and then working each problem out individually is far better than throwing money at something with no basis for comparison.

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
I was having overheating problems a while back.

Turned out to be a faulty pump. Cheap to replace, I'd try that first.