Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AC Compressor / Condensor issues

benpotter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Olympic
Hiya, not sure if this question has been asked recently, couldn’t find any answers.

But I bought my VT knowing the AC was cooked, seeing as it’s heating up I’ve been saving up some money to get it sorted.

I went to a shop and they found a leak in the compressor I think. Quoted me about $200 for the job.

Now I’m planning on going to a different more reputable mechanics, don’t have the most money atm and was just wondering how much other people were charged for replacing the AC Compressor and for a regas.

Cheers guys, appreciate all the help.

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Ac compressor will be about $400 new. Labour to remove and fit new comp plus gas, roughly 2-$300

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
In a nut shell,
You won’t get much change out of $1,000.
Do it once, do it properly,
Because you won’t want to do it twice at that price.

Last edited:

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
200, lol, 180 just for re-gas, where the leak? like out of the front seal or one of the two O-rings, 200 will turn into 1200 in no time, how did they find a leak, did they gas it? So many things could go wrong on the A/C, hoses known to leak at the crimp ends, tx valve may be leaking, the condenser may have a leak, also your best to change the drier, then there the evaporator which are known to leak, so, it could get expensive, if the dude said 200 I be going to him first. Good luck. PS maybe he going to use A/C stop leak and cross his fingers.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
You'd want to know for sure what the leak was, or that they knew what it was. Perhaps it's a new o-ring and a regas and good to go. Make sure any work involves a vacuum leak-down test, generally do. A new drier up front is also a bonus, it's a service part, a little like a filter, any time the system is apart or exposed to air for periods of time it should be replaced. They are cheap, a decent AC guy would suggest it anyway. I'm always wary of stop-leak additives, except in machines that are on their last legs and trying to buy some time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it causes more problems. Having said that, I supplied a bottle just in case, when I did mine, they said it wasn't necessary, and 18months later mine has also leaked lol. Haven't yet had it checked to see why so possibly not have made any difference!

Reactions: Lex

benpotter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Olympic
200, lol, 180 just for re-gas, where the leak? like out of the front seal or one of the two O-rings, 200 will turn into 1200 in no time, how did they find a leak, did they gas it? So many things could go wrong on the A/C, hoses known to leak at the crimp ends, tx valve may be leaking, the condenser may have a leak, also your best to change the drier, then there the evaporator which are known to leak, so, it could get expensive, if the dude said 200 I be going to him first. Good luck. PS maybe he going to use A/C stop leak and cross his fingers.
Yeah went to a mechanic, they saw that dye had already been put through the system and it was only leaking from the compressor, rang up another mechanic today, was quoted $180 for the regas and i assume the price to fix the seals or just fix the compressor in general would be an extra $40-$60.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
OK then, depends on where the leak is, mine was coming out of the front seal, so I just replaced it with a new one, not worth pulling them apart.