Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oztrack CAI question - missing part?

ToeCutter21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline MY15 + VF2 Redline MY17
I just called them direct. Pre oiled from them ready to go. About every 5000 pull out clean and re oil. Can't wait till this arvo to fit mine!

You called VCM, or Oztrack, or K&N? I'd be happy to hear the 5000km recommendation because mine has a big yellow sticker on the front saying 2000km cleaning interval. Sometimes I do that in a week which would be quite annoying. 5000km would be much better so I'm interested in the source. Also wondering what others think of cleaning intervals. Where I am it's country NSW - all highway driving which I'd like to say is all clean air but driving past farms being ploughed and/or harvested can be quite dusty, and driving at night can have plague like insect swarms.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It should be as easy as looking at the filter to tell if it’s pre-oiled, it will be a reddish colour from the dye in the oil.

I grew up out past Dubbo and I and many people I knew always had an insect screen to protect our radiators during times of locust plagues and an OTRCAI is no different as you can’t afford to block the flow.

Normal insect contamination should not be a worry as long as you clean down when you see any signs of a build-up.

My K&N’s says to clean and oil every 5,000k as a guide and more often and as needed in dusty or dirty environments which could mean a daily inspection or clean if it's a really bad location.

K&N’s are not necessarily the best option if where you live is very dusty.

Reusable filters are not maintenance free, in fact they are the opposite and require regular inspection, attention and cleaning and that’s one reason a lot of people still prefer to use paper filters.

Always make sure you have a recharge kit or something similar on hand.

1869924338-DCP_1266[1].jpg

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I’ve just read the instructions in my K&N Recharger Kit which I just scanned and it says the filter will normally need cleaning every 50,000 miles.

The website says the same.
K&N Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Dirty and Clean Filter Photos.

drty-but-not-yetL.jpg

Dirty K&N Air Filter that IS NOT ready to be cleaned

rdy-to-cleanL.jpg

Dirty K&N Air Filter that IS ready to be cleaned

after-clng1L.jpg

K&N Air Filter that has been cleaned and NOT oiled

Cleaned-and-re-oiledL.jpg

K&N Air Filter that has been cleaned and re-oiled

Anyone who gets 50,000 miles between cleaning a K&N Filter must live in a vacuum as my filter will start to look something like in between the first and second photo after a few thousand kilometres and I live on the NSW Central Coast in what could be considered a reasonably clean environment.

ToeCutter21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline MY15 + VF2 Redline MY17
I’ve just read the instructions in my K&N Recharger Kit which I just scanned and it says the filter will normally need cleaning every 50,000 miles.

Anyone who gets 50,000 miles between cleaning a K&N Filter must live in a vacuum as my filter will start to look something like in between the first and second photo after a few thousand kilometres and I live on the NSW Central Coast in what could be considered a reasonably clean environment.

From what I've read, the 50,000 miles would be for the side mounted filters that sit under the bonnet and aren't exposed directly to incoming air through the grille like the OTR model.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I've noticed mine has gone from the red colour to something resembling that clean but not oiled photo n the space of around 4-5000km . It's a bit of a pain in the arse if it needs cleaning every 5000km

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Do it when you do a service, 7500klm, guys do stick to the 5-10k rule (severe conditions)

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
How do you remove them from the VCM OTRs?
mine was installed when they tuned it, didn't ask about removal for cleaning