Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate roumor

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
Yea good point, hows a 90km/h or 100km/h going to restrict someone driving dangerously in a 60, 70 or 80 zone which most areas are

Simply attempts to keep a lid on triple digit speed crashes. One is required at law to always drive at a safe speed and manner for the prevailing circumstances, regardless of speed-limit.

Personally, for NSW I'd be happy to remove the L, P1, P2 speed maximums, falling then to the normal 'defaults' or 'posted' speed-limits.

We'll see.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Maximum speed limits for P platers is a bad idea.... how many are crashing and dying PURELY as a result of doing 100kph? How many lives would be saved compared to them doing 80kph....

I would imagine there are more crashes caused by people trying to overtake someone going slow rather than people just losing control.

More education is needed, and honestly there needs to be more track days.... places to speed.

I dont know about everyone else, but i love driving quickly... not with a car load of people or to show off, but just the pleasure of driving. I would love the chance to get out on a track and just drive without risk to the general public. I know a lot of P platers are trying to show off, but no law is going to stop that.

Look at Sweden... Have to drive on a skid pad, plus lots of hours driving in all conditions. Very good system IMO. Have seen/heard of a lot of younger drivers crash ONCE they get into a bad situation. Its all well and good saying "If we make these laws young drivers wont get into bad situations"... but how about "while trying to limit the risk, how about we also education people on how to safely stop/get out of a situation once their in it..."

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
/end Typical P-Plater stance

Yes i am a P-Plater and yes i do drive a V8, yes it is lowered and you know what, ive never been hassled by the police, ive never been targetted on the road for an RBT and ive only ever been pulled over once, for forgetting to dip my high beams and you know what? I SUPPORT the p-plate laws and if any of you have ever had a mate who thinks like my post above who goes off and kills themselves, The first people you will blame is the Government or the Police. Everytime i see a P-Plater no matter the colour driving like a dick, first thing that pops into my mind is, my god i hope he gets pulled over and gets whats coming too him.

Anyway after the wall of text, its not the laws that need to change, its the attitudes of morons who think they are invincible and above the law.

That's pretty much spot on. Id love to own a v8 and i don't drive like a idiot. But because of some idiots i can't. Who says you can't kill yourself in even a 4cylinder anyway? lol. The car can't cause people to speed,its the person behind the wheel that makes that choice.