Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plater restrictions

MBS206

Reaction score
2.0Litres I've seen quicker, from the factory, then a 5.7L V8 SS...
Engine displacement isn't the problem. Nor is out right power.
It's how fast a car can actually accelerate.

Think about it, a Big V8 truck, can't accelerate at all, but pulls over 600HP, yet a small car, light weight, like a mini say, with short gearbox, can get up and fly, with only 50-60KW at the wheels.

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
most cops would need mechanical training to be able to enforce the new laws think bout it can a normal cop tell if a bog stock bodied vr commo with a 4.2ltr v6 stroker under the hood? honestly i prob couldnt~ and i agree with previous statments i had a 5ltr v8 wb statesman on my pz that would be lucky to beat a light vl with a manual behind it~

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
A 6ltr v8 ls2 clubsport with a "p plater" driving hits a brick wall at 130km/h, he/she die on impact,

A stock nissan pulsar with a whopping 2ltr straight 4 with a "p plater" driving also hits a brick wall at 130km/h, he/she also dies on impact

a "p plater" who has had advanced driver training driving either car avoids the accident because they have the training and skill to avoid the F%#N brick wall!!!!

It doesnt matter wat car it is or how powerful it is if the driver has not been taught the extra skills one doesnt learn from their normal lessons (reverse parking and hill starts etc) they will run into drama~ people dont get taught what to do when their car starts fish tailing in the wet..........

Better education not restrictions! lol done ranting :D

VIPVT

Reaction score
6ltr v8 ls2 clubby hits 130kmh in a carpark
nissan ****heap lucky to hit 130kmh on freeway

That is the difference.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
I believe the whole problem with P-platers isn't thier driving habits alone...we all drove like idiots when we started out...the problem is the standard of cars now available...power restrictions were inevitable.

Back in 1982 when got my learners, I had two cars...a 1953 Austin A30 (wow...power machine...) and a 1971 Mazda Capella. that thing wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Most other guys had either old Corollas or maybe some with better jobs had things like EH's and HR's, maybe a Torana 6 cylinder. However, even when worked, these things never had anything like the go of a cheap old ratty VN V6 Commodore that a young guy would start out with today. I would venture a guess that even a later model second hand car like a VR, VS, or maybe VT Commodore...quite affordable for a first car...in V6 form is quicker accelerating than the V8's...even 351's...that we aspired to drive 25 years ago.
If the young guy of today has a bit of dough to flash around, with a decent job, and he can afford an SS of a recent vintage, he probably doesn't realise he is driving something which, if chucked through a time warp to just 25 or 30 years ago, would p1ss all over a Ferrari 308-GTB or 911 Porsche of that era.

As I said...power restrictions were, unfortunately, inevitable...but will be very hard to enforce.
i donno, my old girl had an LJ 308 when she was 17 (my uncle also had one) dad had a XAGT coupe(351) bought it for 4500 when he was 17 and their mates all had v8's, my step dad used to go on about him and his mates putting nos into almost anything and dragging down a dirt road that would only just fit 2 cars, and my mates dad used to get around in an 11sec rx3. basicially it sound like you older bunch got the best of it.
at the same time though today we can get finance for really anything we want.

sleepwlaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT5.0
a "p plater" who has had advanced driver training driving either car avoids the accident because they have the training and skill to avoid the F%#N brick wall!!!!

Better education not restrictions! lol done ranting :D

This is the answer...

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
yeah yeah yeah yet another "evil p platers" thread. I am glad to see that although the first post was written in that vain, it turned into a "how can we help them" thing.

TBH its not even an education thing. If everyone drove always the same way they drove during their license test, then there would be almost NO deaths on the road.

Better driver education would be great, but parents need to take responsibility here and engrain into their children right from the start that when driving you are in control of a lethal weapon, and you need to excercise self control and use it responsibly. My parents did and anyone who knows me will be able to tell you i'll never drive in a manner that could endanger myself or anyone else, and I will NOT tolerate anyone who does! what a surprise... I'm a P plater.

My parents also LED BY EXAMPLE! This does NOT happen enough these days, because driver training was non-existant when they learned to drive, so they go through their whole lives not indicating, speeding up to get through the amber light, going 10 k's over the limit at all times, and not being courteous on the road. the kids SEE the way the parents drive, even from a very young age, and will replicate that behaviour no matter how many times other people, teachers, tv ads, government programs etc say it is BAD.

The PARENTS are the number one influencing factor... its as simple as that. If you RESPECT the lethal weapon you are in control of, you'll drive responsibly and safely. Better education including defensive driving would help a bit, but without the right attitude from the beginning, it is POINTLESS

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
anyone driven a mazda 6?

yeh i have those things are nuts!! my old boss had one it was auto but they have those sport shift autos dam it was quick!

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
**YAWN**... anyone else tired of this topic? get over it!