Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Platers and High Performance cars.....

P Platers

• Allowed High Perfomance Cars

Votes: 266 47.7%
  • Not Allowed High Performance Cars

Votes: 223 40.0%
  • Allowed them, but not allowed to drive/licence them

Votes: 50 9.0%
  • Im not a P plater, nor do I Care

Votes: 51 9.1%

• Total voters

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
Have to completely agree with you Sashyre. Too many times I have been out on the road, especially in the evening and come accross a car full of guys, and the driver decides to be an idiot and show off. I've almost had an accident because of these idiots. But anywho...

On a brighter note, your signature is a bit on the ironic side along with your post... hehehe :rolleyes:

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Wombat - I agree with you.

I never light it up at traffic lights or actually on the road or anything, if I'm going to do it I've only really done it on this little 2 way lane with speed humps that you can see all the way up and down, and I never do it for more then a couple of seconds before I let the car take traction (slowly) and I just continue on my merry little way ;).

Like I said, I know mine and my car's limits and I never exceed them. I know how to drive, hell I'll even go as far to say that I'm a better driver than most people. Not necessarily because of my actual driving ability, but because I understand the limits that I'm restricted by and I don't exceed them. That, and because I look where I'm going!! I'm not overconfident, if I was overconfident I probably wouldn't be here today ;). I'm too paranoid to be overconfident haha.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i love driving cars fast (not doing burnouts). i am lucky enough to have a job where i occasionally get the opportunity to do this to some awesome machines.

defensive driving courses are nice, but they aren't a solution. they don't make you a good driver.

most crashes are not caused because the driver didn't have enough recovery skills. they occur because they made a stupid decision to overtake, turn right, etc.

i've never actually done a driving course. but i've been practising my driving for a long time. i'll take the pepsi challenge against any p-plater who's just recently taken their license and done a high-performance driving course any day.

i'm not a great driver. like many here, i know a thing or two and i've been practising for quite a while. but i'll cane any 19 yr old pimply ricer in his GTS skyline or commodore with home-made CAI who thinks listening to some instructor on how to slide his car makes them a 'hand'.

p-platers just need to learn the right attitude. you don't need to be taught how to drift the rear end to learn that.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Mhmm, whats the good of Emergency braking procedures, how many of you here can honestly tell me that they woouldn't just slam on the brakes when you really really had an emergency where you had to stop. I think your kidding yourself if you think you'll do it correctly.

Only if you've done it all the time then maybe I'd believe it.. But seriously...

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
even F1 drivers lock up the brakes under that sort of pressure

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I've had the opportunity to go a step further!! I hit the brakes hard, it was wet so I new I wasn't going to stop in time so I didn't brake hard enough to slide and then I turned to left where a bus stop lane was so I didn't smash the car in front ;). That was my skilful maneuver of the day :)

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
Just a bit off topic here but isnt it great when the slow car in front of you with plenty of room to make it through the traffic lights slams on their brakes leaving you behind to do the same. I had a lock up one day when my ABS Fuse was removed....(lol) made it with plenty of time to spare but was a pain in the ass none the less...made a fair puff of smoke as well.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
if someone is obviously driving like a pussy and the lights may go yellow, and it's a no-RH-turn intersection, i check the other lane is clear and if they insist on braking early, i duck through :)

never do that if RH turns are allowed, for obvious reasons

dellarb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SII CV8 Monaro
2_SeeK_U said:
l would agree on that, but l think they factor in the severity of the crashes p platers are involved in, l mean have you ever heard about an elderly man wrapping his car around a tree because he was doing 150 km/h??

Quite often. Over in WA during holidays its non stop on the news "the elderly driver lost control of his 4wd and hit a tree"

People keep saying limit to 4 cyl. WHY? There are some serrious problems with that idea because my 86kW 6 pulls a 1.3t car around but there are plenty of 4s with ALOT more power pulling lighter cars around. And amongst me and my friends who have all been driving between a year and 4 months the only accidents have been in a Honda Civic and Nissan Pulsar.

I dont get why all you people who are off your Ps have a problem with high performance cars. The current regulations were the same or less strict when you went through and how many of you are dead again? The system works dont screw around with it.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Whaaat, People are dying mate, I don't think that is exactly a working system.