Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Platers and High Performance cars.....

P Platers

• Allowed High Perfomance Cars

Votes: 266 47.7%
  • Not Allowed High Performance Cars

Votes: 223 40.0%
  • Allowed them, but not allowed to drive/licence them

Votes: 50 9.0%
  • Im not a P plater, nor do I Care

Votes: 51 9.1%

• Total voters

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Troy711 said:
and grammer checkers
"Abstract Taken from http://todaytonight.com.au "

shouldnt it be 'extract'? :p

HAHA that cracked me up

I am a P plater and i also agree that P platers shouldnt be allowed high performance cars. they can just wait a few years.

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
boona15 said:
being a p plater myself i know im not a superstar driver... but ive done all my defensive driving courses now... i got into a hairy situation last week in the city and had to hit the skids, now instead of stopping 4 or 5 meters from the back of the car infront i got off the brakes and crept up to it so the person behind me didnt rearrange the ass end of my car....
i think the best way to teach a P plater how to drive is to have at least one compulsary defensive driving course as part of the 6 months learners period aswell as 50 hours driving
I'll kinda do the same...if i'm stopped and see someone flying up my arse i'll let the brakes off and creep foward so if it does hit it's less impact, cuz i'm gonna smash the car in front neways.
I've never had to hit the skids though, i always keep my distance...even if i have to go 10km/h below the speed limit, this is mainly on the bridge, it's where the most acidents happen in rocky.

GLD-086

Reaction score
My opinion is, yes P Platers should be banned from High Peformance cars.

Hence the High Performance part, how the f*** is a 100KW VH V8 considered High Performance? yet its alright to drive a 190KW V6 Commie but not a 100KW V8, It doesnt make sense.

Being a P Plater myself I can drive something with a V8 or Forced Induction because I got my red Ps before the law here in NSW was put in place but its a killer for insurance.

IMO I think at the moment this new law will work but in a few years time when these P Platers get off their Ps and get their full licence, what do you think the first thing they'll do? They'll go and buy or jump in some High Powered car and they'll act like idiots after being stuck in a slow car over the last 3 years.

You cant stop idiots from being idiots, its in their nature and throwing them in slower car aint going to do squat because once their time is up on their Ps theres a 99% chance they'll jump into the closest High Performance car they see and add to the road toll anyway.

The average age for a P Plater to get their full licence in NSW is 20 so their still quite young.

Last edited:

ProMaX

Make way!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
04 VZ SS Impulse Blue Ute
just reading over all the posts, some people like to contradict themselves

I needed a good laugh

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
In the edn while car manufacturers continue to make cars that are over powered for their need. (So you really need a V12 Kompressor?) there will be a need to set a benchmark of limits on what 'novice' drivers can be allowed to drive. Perhaps if governments had the ablls we'd have a lot more complaners both reestriced and open in this thread about what they were banned from.

Perhaps the governements should just ban the cars and not the drivers in the first place.

S

siriansun

I think ANY new driver REGARDLESS of age should be restricted from high performance vehicles. They should be made to complete a driver training course as part of the license requirement.

Now I know they can still speed and do reckless things in standard cars but lets face it there is MUCH more of a temptation when you have a beast of a car under you.

I don't think stupidity and reckless behaviour is limited to young people either. We should be working on this across ALL age groups and not just targeting one area.

Just my thoughts

Lucy

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
siriansun said:
I think ANY new driver REGARDLESS of age should be restricted from high performance vehicles. They should be made to complete a driver training course as part of the license requirement.
Bada-boom-bingo.

We should have several license classes. Keeping with Vic's current theme of "anything over 125kw/tonne is high powered.." we could have these classes:

1. Under 125kw/tonne without forced induction.
2. Under 125kw/tonne with forced induction.
3. Over 125kw/tonne (fi & non fi)
4. 4WD

Maybe the first one could be standard with the other 3 as optional additions?

And 4WD is there because I'm sick of the 4 foot tall soccer mums who can't drive them. I used the 125kw/tonne thing because Vicroads currently monitor this anyway, so these changes could be adopted relatively easily...

VStooDie4

Rubber should be punished
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5l ST88TO & VT exec
Why should any level of license be allowed to drive a high performance car? If a P plater will use the grunt, surely a fully licensed person will too.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
VStooDie4 said:
Why should any level of license be allowed to drive a high performance car? If a P plater will use the grunt, surely a fully licensed person will too.
As mentioned above, you're confusing ability with experience.

Why should you not be allowed to drive a powerful car if you've earned the right to?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
i have the ABILITY to drive a high performance car.
I have the EXPERIENCE in a high performance car.

Im not long off my p's, first car was a powerful V8, now im still alive and have never stacked it. yep, been booked speeding, also been booked in my datsun.
Had two friends killed in a BA, why? sun was in their eyes. Oh yes, she was a P plater.

power and p-plates arent always associated. i say this because i dont agree with level licences. A d!ckhead will always be a d!ckhead, thats that.