Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P-Platers visiting New South Wales

premium

P-Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Berlina, 1985 VK SL
Hey Guys,

A Mate and I are planning a trip from Melbourne to Sydney this weekend to see an old friend, but I need some stuff cleared up;

Firstly, I'm on my Red (P1) P's here in Victoria, and I'm aware of the 90 KM/H limit on P1s in New South Wales, but I have no idea whether that applies to me or not. Anyone know?

Secondly, I'm aware that Learners and P-Platers have to display plates externally, but I don't know if this law applies to me or not either!

I'm thinking I'll email Vicroads and the RTA to find out, but in the meantime, any help is appreciated :)

Thanks,
Premium

mickey1010

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Falcon Futura & a VR flog bomb
I dare say you would have to follow the conditions of your Victorian licence, otherwise all the P platers from SA would have their V8 cars taken off them when crossing the border. Not quite the same as "road rules" ie speed limits and traffic lights because VicRoads issued you the licence and the conditions attached to it. It's not a NSW licence so you don't have to follow the restrictions NSW P platers have.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
You must abide by the conditions of YOUR license, so vic rules.

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
This is a good point, in theory what would happen if you hold say a nsw license and you cross the border into vic and did something that is under the victorian polices hoon laws, do the victorian police still impound your car if you hold a nsw license???

Or another scenario if you hold a nsw license and driving a vic rego car in vic and do something that qualifies under the hoon law can they take your car then???

Up until the OP posted this question I had not really ever thought about it but with the vic/nsw border pretty close to here it would be intresting to know what the outcome would be.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Follow you're conditions to you're state but you need to follow nsw road rules.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
Or another scenario if you hold a nsw license and driving a vic rego car in vic and do something that qualifies under the hoon law can they take your car then???

i know if your car is regod in vic and you have a qld and you get caught in nsw hooning they can take your car, because it happened to me in 2007

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you travel interstate, you are required to comply with the road laws of that state. That's universal across the country, regardless of which state you live in and which state you are travelling in, so don't get fooled by thinking you can do what's legal in Victoria once you cross the border.

For a P-plater, you would need to ensure you complied with the NSW speed limits for provisional drivers and display your P plates on the outside of the car. Generally, "outside" means at each end of the vehicle, not the windows, so play it safe and you won't have any probs.