Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P008 error code 2011 series2 VE sv6

Kcmae1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 ve series2
Have just recently brought from a dealer, still under statutory warranty, was told the error code relates to timing chain issues but the car has no performance issues e.g. no loss of power, no rough idling or misfiring, no problems starting etc. Yet the engine light has come on and is throwing the p0008 error code.
Just wondering if there's anything else i should be investigating before replacing chains? Also would this be covered under statutory warranty as I've only just had the car a month and have done less than the 3k kms it's covered for ?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Have just recently brought from a dealer, still under statutory warranty, was told the error code relates to timing chain issues but the car has no performance issues e.g. no loss of power, no rough idling or misfiring, no problems starting etc. Yet the engine light has come on and is throwing the p0008 error code.
Just wondering if there's anything else i should be investigating before replacing chains? Also would this be covered under statutory warranty as I've only just had the car a month and have done less than the 3k kms it's covered for ?
Reading the codes, See what bank is effected (Eg drivers or Passengers side) and swap the sensor of the effected bank to the other side. If the error swaps side you have a faulty sensor but if it stay the same side you could be up too $3000 out of your pocket. Tell me what V6 Engine you have out of the Family of Engines, "EG" LFX

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’m assuming there is no factory warranty left on that car so you are relying on the used car statutory warranty (conditions are state dependant but generally 5000kms or 1 month).

Thing is, if you were told, in writing on the sales note, of the P0008 code before you bought it, then you're not covered for this fault under your statutory used car warranty.

If the fault popped up after purchase, I’d give them written notice of the fault and that you want it fixed under your statutory used car warranty.

Problem is that the cause could be a number of things which flag such a fault code, from sensor issues to timing chains/guides/tensioners to tone wheel movement on the crank :eek:

Just make sure you get the fault code documented in writing to the seller as a first step ;)

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
This OP has not come Back. I still would like to to know what family Engine is in his car. His car should be a LFX (Series 2) not a LLT Series 1 SV6 v6 engine. After speaking to mechanic friend of mine, LFX Engine were not known to have the stretch chain Issue but known to have failure of the sensor itself which equals to easy money $$$$$$$$$ for the Mechanic.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... After speaking to mechanic friend of mine, LFX Engine were not known to have the stretch chain Issue but known to have failure of the sensor itself which equals to easy money $$$$$$$$$ for the Mechanic.
Not sure what your implying with easy money but if it's some mechanic with no morals charging for chain replacement when sensor replacement will repair the car, I see such slight of hand bullshit as theft by fraud.

Not saying your mechanic mate will do such as he seems up front (atleast to you) ;)

Kcmae1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 ve series2
This OP has not come Back. I still would like to to know what family Engine is in his car. His car should be a LFX (Series 2) not a LLT Series 1 SV6 v6 engine. After speaking to mechanic friend of mine, LFX Engine were not known to have the stretch chain Issue but known to have failure of the sensor itself which equals to easy money $$$$$$$$$ for the Mechanic.
It is the LLT engine. Light has gone back off again itself and hasn't come back on again yet.
Having it serviced on Wednesday and going to talk to the Mechanic about the possibility of it being a sensor issue.

Kcmae1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 ve series2
I’m assuming there is no factory warranty left on that car so you are relying on the used car statutory warranty (conditions are state dependant but generally 5000kms or 1 month).

Thing is, if you were told, in writing on the sales note, of the P0008 code before you bought it, then you're not covered for this fault under your statutory used car warranty.

If the fault popped up after purchase, I’d give them written notice of the fault and that you want it fixed under your statutory used car warranty.

Problem is that the cause could be a number of things which flag such a fault code, from sensor issues to timing chains/guides/tensioners to tone wheel movement on the crank :eek:

Just make sure you get the fault code documented in writing to the seller as a first step ;)
Yes will be contacting the car dealer tomorrow (via email and phone) just to report the fault and have it on record.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
it the engine noisey ie rattelring upon start up