Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P2 driving prohibited vehicle

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Just because a "Police Officer" told you so, doesn't mean he is correct. They're all just as human as we are, and make mistakes like we do. Best thing to have done would have been to the RTA and double check, as you're going to now. Just a bit of bad luck by the sounds of it. Doesn't particularly mean the one that fined you was correct either though.

Last edited:

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
If you want to get out of this one, you'll have to take it to court. The law is the law in this case, there is no bending it, despite it's crapness.

Even then no guarantee....

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Similar Topic.
In Victoria Arrive Alive campaign widely advertise P1 Drivers passenger restrictions do not apply if you have a fully licenced driver in the car. LINKY
In Bendigo and I needed to drive, and carry two passengers, I had a fully licenced driver available who was to drunk to drive. So I rang to clarify that the licenced driver had to be sober (which I assumed was the case). Upon this no one new of such law, I ended up speaking to head of Traffic Manangement at Bendigo who didnt know of it either, said he was going to read the legislation after checking the website and ring me back. Apparently no such clause is in the legislation, and no P1 driver is exempt from the passenger restriction if a licenced driver is in the car.
Very interesting, that one goverment section can advertise such a "law" if it is not real. I wrote an email to the Arrive Alive people, recieving no response. Spoke to many other coppers, none hearing of such exemption.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
The following vehicles are not prohibited vehicles and may be driven by provisional licence holders:

Suzuki Cappuccino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 698cc (released between 1/01/1992 - 1/12/1997).
lol lucky.

I remember when the rules first came in, we took an old school 1982 turbo charged Volvo (where the turbo is as big as my Lynx deodorant can) and it just budged 60 kays on the highway ... but it was on the list at the time as exempt!

But yeh, that was a rule that existed in black and white. This licensed passenger one doesn't exist, otherwise I have 3 mates whose name comes to mind straight away who would be offering me lifts everywhere - I'd never need to drive again!

On the topic of an unknown police officer told me, he may have, but on that score my mates a cop so theoretically I could get him to tell me to do something and use that as my backup?? It sounds like you realise that if you say this the first thing their going to ask is "who told you so we can ask. and that's not going to fly.

It sounds like you tried to do the right thing during double demerit points and paid the consequences. I your stories true I can understand your situation as I have severe injuries at the moment where I have no movement in my left leg or arm after a motorcycle accident, and I'm relying on family and friends to drive me around to appointments and the like, sometimes using my car.

While I don't agree with their legislations, I understand your earlier question how come a P1 driver with an Auto only licence can drive manual with a fully licenced passenger, but don't forget a fully licensed passenger can be anyone from your mum with 20+ years driving experience, to your 20 year old rev head mate with all 1 month full licence experience, whose going to tell you to give it stick.

On this score, your previous driving history probably didn't help the cause either.

I'm assuimg your trying to fight it because...

Accumulating points

A driver who has not committed any offences has zero points. When an offence that carries demerit points is committed, the points are added to the licence holder’s driving record. If the licence holder incurs the threshold number of demerit points within a three-year period, a licence suspension or refusal is applied. The thresholds are as follows:

Unrestricted licence – 12 points.
Provisional P2 licence – 7 points.
Provisional P1 licence – 4 points.
Learner licence – 4 points (from 28 September 2009).
Unrestricted licence with a good behaviour period – 2 points within the term of the good behaviour period.

Good luck with it, but I think you need to suck it up once again.

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
Gotta love livin on the west coast with none of this P plater restriction crap :)

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
well in VIC you can learn to drive manual on your Ps if you have a sign saying DRIVER UNDER INSTRUCTION or something.

justincredible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 Calais V
i don't know much about other states legislation, but in victoria the restrictions all have loopholes, or room for negotiation.
powerfull vehicles= letter from employer stating the vehicle is needed for employment
to drive a manual whilst on auto license= as previously mentioned, "driver under instruction" sign and obviously a sober fully licensed person with you.
most other restrictions can be negotiated (probably in most states) with a relevant letter to the authority stating the need for an exemption. For example, if you are a sole carer you may see the need to apply for an exemption to the passenger restriction law.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
i don't underrating how you guys keep getting court

Cunningstunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
I'd take this one to court - plead guilty with explanation. You need to explain the extenuating circumstances behind why you were driving the car (Mum's ankle ((make sure you run spell check over your letter of explanation though!)) had to P/Up little sister.

They may not let you off altogether, but generally courts go easier on you than the copper on the side of the road.

I got pulled up on my GSXR750 for doing wheelies 180kph in 80 zone, whilst unregistered AND whilst under a suspended license due to unpaid fine (a long time ago and and even longer story). I ended up having to go to court and received a $750 fine, no points, no loss of licence. Paid my other fine to unsuspend my licence and all was ok with the world....til got done on the back wheel again some 2 years later and then received a 12month court issue suspension.....

So not saying you will get off or get off lightly, but considering you weren't pulled over for speeding or other such traffic infrigment, with your parentys/family in tow you might get the courts sympathy, then again you may not but its worth a shot ESP if you've had previous problems.....

Good luck!