Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

paint protection

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
im in nowra, wanna do mine lol

In all seriousness what needs doing and how much are you willing to pay me? You have a wagon so thats more time = more money. To compare I restored the neglected paint on an '01 Hyundai and that took nearly five hours and keep in mind that detailing is my hobby, not job. I'm near shellharbour if you're interested.

Oh, and Forbiddenss I forgot to mention, use the two bucket wash method. Means have you normal bucket of car wash and a 2nd bucket of just water. Before dunking your dirty wash mit/sponge back in the wash bucket, give it a quick swish in the plain water bucket to remove and debris from the fibres and prevent washing with dirty suds. Something as simple as dirty water can even cause fine swirls.

Last edited:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
In all seriousness what needs doing and how much are you willing to pay me? You have a wagon so thats more time = more money. To compare I restored the neglected paint on an '01 Hyundai and that took nearly five hours and keep in mind that detailing is my hobby, not job. I'm near shellharbour if you're interested.

if i get stuck with something bad one day ill give you you a yell, im getting the detailing thing down pat atm.

the one thing i need help with the moment is the rubber trim around the windows, which is a good product the restore them?

one of the back windows is slightly pitted like the rubber has broken down or a poor moulding and as a results has small amount of polish in it which give the rubber a whitish sort of tinge to it.

Mavr1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed Manual
Hurray for me, i found what i was looking for without starting a new thread!!

Im guessing by everyones reponse that the "paint protection" is s**t and not worth it... I have just bought a VY SS. paint = Cosmo. and Jarvis is trying to sell me their package deal which consists of the following:
  • Astroglaze Paint Protection. Apparently jarvis are the only ones in the country that use this specific type of protection - When washing your car all you need is water & a Chamois.. No soap.. & no need to wax or polish as the paint protection contains teflon (i thought that was just for kitchen stuff)!:p They then reapply at 18 months and then again in 36 months time.
  • Fabriguard - Obviously for the inside of the car. Similar to scotchguard but better i've been told.
  • Vinyllast - This is meant to seal the moisture inside the vinyl/Leather thus protecting your interior from cracking.
  • Window Tinting

For all of the above was going to cost $1,800.00. Has anyone heard of this stuff or is there any further updates in regards to paint protection etc. Just want to do the best thing for my new baby, without breaking the bank for a crap product.

Any comments would be welcome. :thumbsup:

I have just realised that this is in the VE thread.....I hope it was ok to post. Seems silly to start the same thread in the VY section...

Last edited:

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
I'm sure a mod will move it to proper area. And as for all that **** the dealer is trying to push onto you Mavr1k kindly say "no farking thanks". BUT in saying that when I bought my ute all these years ago I did get the interior protection done, and that IMO was worth it any mark or stain came out with just a damp cloth.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
These bullshit protection plans are the greatest skim-off for extra dollars for the dealers ever created. They try to push you into purchasing them for your new car, but charge anything up to 300% more than the business who actually do the work charge the dealers.

We purchased a new Golf a few years back. The sales rep was straight up with us and told us the finance department would try to squeeze us for one of their protection packages. He told us that the fabric protection was $250 from the firm down the road, but the dealer wanted $750, after having the fellow do it for them!

Not only are the packages grossly inflated by the dealers, they are a waste of bloody money at any price.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Dealer paint protection IS way over priced. But having said that you do need to apply some sort of protection. Whether it be using an over the counter available wax or paint sealant or a specialty 'boutique' wax is up to you. My advice if you want to keep your car looking like new is use a very good quality wax or sealant on a bi-monthly basis and always apply a spray wax after each wash to add to the protection. You could buy a product like Optimum Opti-seal which is a pure paint protection product for $60 and apply yourself.

I suggest you go through Care Care Products which is a sponsor on this forum. I've bought through them before and are very knowledgeable.

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
paint protection full of crap and a waste of money. still lots of imperfections. i also regret getting it. since i've been using the meguairs products, they have the killer shine.

Mavr1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed Manual
Thanks guys/gals (dont want to be rude if there are some on here!). From what everyone has said i wont worry about it through the dealer, but get at done afterwards either by self through Car Care Products or through a detailer direct. I like cleaning my car so spending time on it doing that is not an issue...

Thanks again!

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
Great thread :) I was looking at a new clubby just recently and the dealer tried the upsell of all those paint protection things. The rather attractive girl they sent in claimed she's just got it applied to her lexus (good ad for holden!) so it must be good!?? Anyhow, she reckoned a damp cloth is all you'd need to clean your car from then on - no detergent or anything. Sadly I couldn't get the clubby upgrade past the other half (....yet.....hopefully...) but it's good to know that the paint protection mumbo jumbo is just that - there's $1200 potential savings right there! :)

and @ Scooter79 - great post mate - especially the two buckets note; I never thought of that!