Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting Dash... Too tired to search...

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
i hate painted dashes to be honost, apart from your center console vn2nv.. you rarely see one well done and they usually look botch, thats why i havnt painted mine but yeah you need plastic primer, paint and clear coat to do it properly, or gloss paint (has clear coat mixed in with it)

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
if you're gonna use vinyl dye, DONT stick plastic primer on it, otherwise it wont soak in.

you can use a white vinyl dye as a base to light vinyl dyes tho i think. but dont use a paint that isnt a dye as a base coat unless topcoat is the same

Ygoford

YGOFORD?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
dfun use metho ! will stop the paint from sticking , to get stains or what ever off sand is lightly and then wipe it down with a dape towl then a dry one, pm sent

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Arrr I started and I used a plastic primer... It seems ok though????

Im using VHT Vinyl Die Jet Black Gloss and the same blue I originally got for the centre console... however its not coming out the same on the dash parts as the centre console did. Perhaps the fibgreglass helped the finish.

Ygoford

YGOFORD?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
yea sounds like the case but give it a few extra sprays , also make sure u give it a clear coat cause it chips easily in some places ,

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
yea sounds like the case but give it a few extra sprays , also make sure u give it a clear coat cause it chips easily in some places ,

Problem is I dont have enough blue to give it alot of sprays. I went to autobarn, Repco, Motoquipe and Supercheap and only one place had my blue in stock, and they only had 1 can of it... Im down to the A/C vents now and scratching to have enough. The blacks fine cause theres heaps of it at repco and stuff.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
i didnt do my top half of my dash but ive done a two tone look, the bottom is black and the top is the stock ugly red, ill try and get some pics today and post them:D DAMN IT! need to paint my kickpanels because of the previous owner but ran out of thinners! might go get some soon:D:D:D