Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting Your Dash

WELSHH

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE 6lt SS Ute
would this work alright for a VE dash, you know how their kind of honeychome, it wouldnt leave bubbles or anything would it?

shaynekid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
what about the fans at either side of the car, they would look alot nicer if they got painted the same colour as the dash etc.....is it possible to paint those aswell, they just pop out right?

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
what about the fans at either side of the car, they would look alot nicer if they got painted the same colour as the dash etc.....is it possible to paint those aswell, they just pop out right?

If you're talkin about the air vents in ya doors, yeah they pop out easy as ****

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I took mine out (was silver) and got a panel shop to do it in black for me, love the result.

I actually sanded it and they said that made it harder, lol. They said they would probably have just used some steel wool type stuff (not steel wool obviously but something like it).

They actually baked it in their oven.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
That gloss black looks so sickk! Does that match your exterior? I have to say the green by the original poster, although impressive, is a bit yuck. My VT is white. Thinking of going with the white on the dash, or now that I've seen this gloss black, maybe go for that!

Where'd you get your blue tacho?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
That gloss black looks so sickk! Does that match your exterior? I have to say the green by the original poster, although impressive, is a bit yuck. My VT is white. Thinking of going with the white on the dash, or now that I've seen this gloss black, maybe go for that!

Where'd you get your blue tacho?

It was pretty cheap to get done as well, for both pieces painted by the panel shop it was $80 and being professional quality it's high gloss and baked as well, I was going to try myself but didn't think I'd do as good a job as the professional one so went for it.

Unscrewed the lot (easy as) and took it in, left it with them for 2 or 3 days from memory and just screwed it all back in.

yup, exterior is black as well - I actually got the idea for the gloss black from my Monaro which has gloss black. Standard dash is silver which I didn't really like - the blue instruments are standard HSV.

attachment.php

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I'm sad about that but I might have to search around for some like it. The faded black looks crap. Blue will match my headunit.

Nice VX clubby. Good job on matching the exterior paint with the dash then. Luvley!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can see the HSV logo in the first piccy in the tacho, I actually like the blue dash better than the red one in my Monaro (no pics handy) as it's a 250km one (as opposed to a 220km) and the red has like a grey strip on the bottom and the HSV dash has illuminated gear indicator lights beside the speedo.

I used to have a VTII Exec years ago and that big grey dash is ugly as sin, color makes such a difference.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey it's glossy black yeah? What is the paint code for that colour? I'd really like to copy you on that colour for the dash.

I also have a 3mm or 4mm hole in my dash. Probably where someone in the past used to keep their mobile phone holder. Know anything that will fill it? Could poly filler it but I doubt I'd get the desired results in my dash as you would in a wall...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't know the paint code, I just got the panel shop to do a gloss black. As for your hole I would imagine bog would do the job, but prepare for a lot of sanding to make it perfect.