Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

painting

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have also heard that a nice smooth slippery waxed surface helps with deflecting material that gets flicked up by log trucks and other traffic. What i was told that the waxed surface helps flying debris not as likely to bite in when they hit the car.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Wax prevents degradation of the paints surface (which is actually a plastic). By applying wax you're filling in the pores and giving a weather resistant coating.

If you're planning on doing more painting, you want the surface to be free from waxes, oils and other contaminants. Best not to put wax anywhere near the car until you've done your painting.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Question, I am having to repair a spot on the bonnet where the strut top broke busted and left a dent. I had the dent knocked down but there was a low spot. I have now bogged the low but when I sanded the area, the bogged edge is lower than the old painted edge. It's like the bog is softer than the surrounding paint and rubs away quicker.

I have now layered on plenty of primer and will rub the edge out tomorrow, but I was thinking this can't be the way panel shops do it surely? Should I have used a spray putty, because it is harder than bog? Or do I just level it out with thick primer, and work the edge down, then add more primer as needed. I'm concerned too much primer will crack over time. I had the same issue when I painted the tub side rails. There was an existing patch of bog that did the same thing and it took a lot of feathering out, plus lot of primer to make it look good.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I used spray putty and primer filler to make up what appears to be a vinyl roof seam from a distance with an older car I have. After 5 years, it's still good.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I used spray putty and primer filler to make up what appears to be a vinyl roof seam from a distance with an older car I have. After 5 years, it's still good.

Yeah I have ended up filling the mark with plenty of primer and working it out. Realistically it's not like it's 2mm of primer filler, it's only the thickness of the old paint. I will just keep doing what I have done for ever and apply thick primer and feather out the edges. I was just thinking that maybe the professionals have some other way. I have never used spray putty always just applied extra primer-filler.