Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

panel seam sealant?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
hi im looking for seam sealer that can be painted and sanded. i brought this stuff from bunnings as that all i could find even at auto stores and pane beaters said to go to this paint joint in my town as they have it. but its the same as this...

Super Cheap Hardware - Sikaflex-Pro Multipurpose Sealant 370g - Silicones & Sealants - Glues & Sealers

is this the right stuff? if not what should i use?

its for my BA ford sedan boot, along the sides of the boot when opened the sealant has come off (its painted sealant) as it used to be an ex tactical response sargents car in NSW and when the removed the antana (as it was unm arked car) they did a dodgy job

cheers

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Sikaflex 227 is the stuff you want

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks, will take this stuff back and swap it if they have it

cheers

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
also if i was to pic the old sealant away as its crumbleing/missing anyway. could i put bog over it sand it then paint it for a neater look or is seam sealer the way to go?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
silkaflex 221 or similar, don't try to separate it once it cures.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Narrow stiff wire brush in an electric drill or similar is what I'd use. Carefully get rid of the loose sealant then prime any exposed metal.
Blend in the new sealant, then prime and paint.
Bog would be asking for trouble with later rust issues in that channel area.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i only ever use this stuff... comes out easy, spreads easy. this stuff allows you to paint over it right after it tacks up with out the paint splitting because the sealer was still wet, not like other brands. holds good dosent shrink back either... been using it for 8 years....

154_1010_10_o+154_1010_meat_stuffing_jeep_cherokee_xj+wurth_sabesto_sprayable_seam_sealer.jpg

sorry for the giant pic, only one i could find

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi_ryder
i only ever use this stuff... comes out easy, spreads easy. this stuff allows you to paint over it right after it tacks up with out the paint splitting because the sealer was still wet, not like other brands. holds good dosent shrink back either... been using it for 8 years....

where do i get that from?

SavVYute
Narrow stiff wire brush in an electric drill or similar is what I'd use. Carefully get rid of the loose sealant then prime any exposed metal.
Blend in the new sealant, then prime and paint.
Bog would be asking for trouble with later rust issues in that channel area.

would normal primer do? i have the holts power plus white primer. would this do on the bare metal then use sealant then prime again/sand alittle them paint? something like that haha

theres rust there as it is so im not expecting miricals, correct way would be to take panels off and replace but in all honestly #### that haha

im gonna sand/wire brush as much as i can, hit it with rust converter etc, then fill the little rust hole with bog, then redo the whole seam sealant along both sides

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
babootpic_zpsee151187.jpg

this is the prt of teh panel im talking about (internet pic)

so its not wire to bog it and smooth it? as it would look better haha

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
if its that spot only dont use a wire wheel on it, youll make a dog breakfast of it and cause more work for yourself. on slip of the drill and youll add the quarter panel to the paint list. i usually use a knife and run it right along the seam to clean the sealer right out. you want to take enough sealer out to create a grove for for the nozzle of the calking gun to sit, then squeeze and pull (the trigger and the gun backwards, not penis joke). it may take a few go's of running the seam and wiping it off with prepsol (wax grease remover) and starting over, but you should get it. then compare to the other side to where to smear the edges.

as far as where to get the wurth stuff, in qld i have no idea. id think that an automtive paint supplier would have it. we get ours from bayfords paint supply in campbellfield vic. you dont have to get this brand, it is one of the good ones but im sure the others will work too. try the sikaflex like the others said if you can find it... your better off using something thats proposed for automotive use though...