Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

panel seam sealant?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
thanks, i ended up swaping it for some sikaflex 227.

The old sealer on there just flaked off.....other side not far behind (stupid fords lol) it was not even pushed in teh seam just seems to be applied on the outer edge..on both sides!...also no weld there either just 2 panels over lapping one another

but im gonna redo the otherside aswell. also when painting im redoing the whole "channel" (i guess you could say) as its a bit rough in there

also would normal holts power plus white primer be ok to use then the seam sealer then sand it smoothish then paint? im not after show room results or absoluty pro results as im in no means a pro! lol just somthing to do and to make it look beter/not rust....more (well slow the rust lol)

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Just ensure your primer is compatible with your top coats etc.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah the primer is same brand etc as the top coat, its those touch up power plus little cans from supercheap...used them before there actually not too bad lol

cheers

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i normally get everything finish sanded and masked up ready for paint, just before painting, apply the sealer. let it tack up for 30 min to an hour then paint directly over it. just be aware some sealants when theyve gone bone dry (after leaving sit for 24 hours +) will not be receptive any thing you spray over it, including conventional primers. you might have to dust a plastic primer over it before paint (read the recommendations back of the tube carefully).

id go ahead and spread some of your sealer on a piece of cardboard or wood or whatever then let it sit for 24 hours and test your tops coats over it. let it all dry, stick some masking tape over it and rip it up, see if it takes the paint off. im only saying this cause ive let sealers sit over night and come to paint it the next day only to have the paint come off with the pressure washer days later, causing me headaches to fix it... youd hate to do all this work and have it flake off...

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers for all the help and advice, much apreciaed....i gather your a panel beater or used to be? or just very knowldgable? haha

cheers

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Back when I was an apprentice Panel Beater we only ever used a product call DRIP CHECK. From memory it was made by 3M and it was the beez kneez when it came to matching OEM product and couldnt fault it for application,appearance,durability,and the all important;looking original and not holding water and moisture.
Like everything you get what you pay :blah blah:for, Ask good shop supplies outlets or google for stockists

Sorry for coming in late in the posts as I have just read back through them and it looks like you,ve already sorted it out,the stuff hi_ryder uses looks alright,

cheers CONROD

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Good old drip check, dug plenty of that out over the years.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Back when I was an apprentice Panel Beater we only ever used a product call DRIP CHECK. From memory it was made by 3M and it was the beez kneez when it came to matching OEM product and couldnt fault it for application,appearance,durability,and the all important;looking original and not holding water and moisture.
Like everything you get what you pay :blah blah:for, Ask good shop supplies outlets or google for stockists

Sorry for coming in late in the posts as I have just read back through them and it looks like you,ve already sorted it out,the stuff hi_ryder uses looks alright,

cheers CONROD

i take it were talking about the 3m brand stuff.

drip check works ok but it comes in a toothpaste style tube. its more for wiping seams in, smearing it with your fingers. it drys so fast its almost too hard to spread in time. it also looses like 30% of its volume after drying out. one time i let it sit over night and had to re apply it over the top again because it pulled in so much.

also almost forgot, the teroson "terostat 9320" also works really well. just as good as the wurth. if anyone else stumbles on this thread needing the same advice... i have yet to use the sikaflex 227 but ill try it next...

41mz0ntVhjL.jpg

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
the sikaflex 227 is probly crap. but if it works okish ill be happy lol