Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parcel Shelf Speaker/Amplifier Install Into VF

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at installing rear parcel shelf speakers in my VF Calais to gain some extra bass with the standard sound system. I can see that the cutouts in the body are available and all that needs to be done is remove the tacked in metal panels and cutout the upholstered parcel shelf above.

I can see that there are only VE parcel shelf speaker grilles available aftermarket for around $50. They look to me as though they will also fit VF. Can anyone possibly confirm this? Also, how does the rear parcel shelf come out? Do I need to remove the rear seats?

At the same time, I'm looking at installing a small 2-channel amp (Pioneer or similar) for the rear shelf speakers. Could anyone recommend suitable speakers that would give me extra bass/better sound or should I simply purchase a set of genuine BOSE speakers?

As for the speaker connections, can I simply connect these to the existing rear door speaker wires under the sill plates or do I need to connect these directly to the head unit? Apparently this affects the sound quality if you piggy-back the wiring.

I'll be doing the install myself. Some here may suggest to leave it to the 'professionals' however I can't monitor the quality of the work being carried. I've had bad experiences lately to the point where I can no longer trust anyone with my cars. I'm sure there are others out there who feel the same way about their cars and have had similar experiences.

Sorry for all the questions (and for my rant!) thanks to anyone who can assist :)

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The VE/VF speaker covers are the same for both Models. I did this in my VE Calais as it didn't have the subs like the Calais V did. The best option is aftermarket amp and speakers. I used the Holden sub woofer and amp but I should of used good set of speakers and a decent amp.

The pick up for the rear speakers can be used under the sill plates. I used the pick up from the side of the stereo in the VE. You also need to pick up a trigger for the on/off for the amp but there are many retained accessory points in the rear of the VF near the battery. Blanking plates just punch out easily. You will need the speaker brackets (which I have a set and also a rear parcel shelf that hasn't been cut).

I installed a sub woofer box and amp in my Calais V VF and now put that in my SS as the Holden subs do not have enough bass. The V series have the amp the rear which makes it easy to find the speaker inputs.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Anthony121,

Thanks for your reply and for your advice with this. I'll see what JB Hi Fi have to offer in a decent quality amp and speakers that will suit. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I was reading in another thread here that an LOC or Line Output Adapter is required. Is this necessary, and would I connect this at the head unit end or the rear sill cover end?

My parcel shelf is intact and so it has no holes for speakers. Is this easy to provide the cutouts or do I need a template to copy from?

You mentioned speaker brackets above. My assumption was that the speakers simply screw into the metal parcel shelf and the grilles attach to the upholstered parcel shelf. Are these brackets the surrounds used for the standard BOSE speakers on the Calais V or simply generic brackets that I can purchase anywhere?

Thanks for your help :)

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Anthony121,

Thanks for your reply and for your advice with this. I'll see what JB Hi Fi have to offer in a decent quality amp and speakers that will suit. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I was reading in another thread here that an LOC or Line Output Adapter is required. Is this necessary, and would I connect this at the head unit end or the rear sill cover end?

My parcel shelf is intact and so it has no holes for speakers. Is this easy to provide the cutouts or do I need a template to copy from?

You mentioned speaker brackets above. My assumption was that the speakers simply screw into the metal parcel shelf and the grilles attach to the upholstered parcel shelf. Are these brackets the surrounds used for the standard BOSE speakers on the Calais V or simply generic brackets that I can purchase anywhere?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi,

The LOC can be used at the rear of the car. As for the parcel shelf, it may have the imprint where you have to cut the trim. The speaker covers can only fit in one spot.

Yes the speakers are sitting in plastic pods. The rear parcel shelf is very uneven. The pods I have are for 8 inch round speakers. The speakers are stuffed (water damaged) but the pods are in good condition.

vy_berlina03

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6 Storm

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi,

The LOC can be used at the rear of the car. As for the parcel shelf, it may have the imprint where you have to cut the trim. The speaker covers can only fit in one spot.

Yes the speakers are sitting in plastic pods. The rear parcel shelf is very uneven. The pods I have are for 8 inch round speakers. The speakers are stuffed (water damaged) but the pods are in good condition.

Thanks Anthony121,

I've had a look at several parcel shelves for sale on eBay which have the cutout. It's an odd shaped 'circular' cutout with surrounding slots to allow the grilles to clip in. My parcel shelf already has a creased outline of the outer edge of the grille. This seems to be just to locate the grille.

I spoke with my Spare Parts man from Holden who previously worked in car audio. He recommended 6x9 3-ways but suggested I try these out of the parcel shelf without an amplifier first. He said this could achieve the sound I'm after. If not, I'll add the amp and the LOC.

My question now is, will the factory speaker pods allow me to install 6x9's or will I need to use 8" speakers or buy custom spacers?

Are you selling the pods that you have? If so, what's the best way to contact you?

Cheers :)

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have used on one these before in my VY and it was really good and it saved a lot of hassle and time and it looked stock as if you go down the parcel shelf route you then need to worry about the vibration and other issues.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-...112260?hash=item25d210e404:g:uD4AAOSwB-1Yz7VS

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-...866833?hash=item238072dd91:g:80QAAOSwhQhYz7ZV

Thanks VY_Berlina03,

I've seen these for sale on eBay but I'm not too keen on using up the boot space. My wife won't want to lose valuable grocery space :D

I'm really just after a little more bass and clarity with a 'factory' finish. But I do like those integrated subwoofer panels. Much better than those clunky boxes that sit in the middle of the boot.

Thanks for the suggestion all the same!

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Anthony121,

I've had a look at several parcel shelves for sale on eBay which have the cutout. It's an odd shaped 'circular' cutout with surrounding slots to allow the grilles to clip in. My parcel shelf already has a creased outline of the outer edge of the grille. This seems to be just to locate the grille.

I spoke with my Spare Parts man from Holden who previously worked in car audio. He recommended 6x9 3-ways but suggested I try these out of the parcel shelf without an amplifier first. He said this could achieve the sound I'm after. If not, I'll add the amp and the LOC.

My question now is, will the factory speaker pods allow me to install 6x9's or will I need to use 8" speakers or buy custom spacers?

Are you selling the pods that you have? If so, what's the best way to contact you?

Hi, you can send me a pm on here.

The speakers won’t work without an amp. Also the 6x9 may not work in the 8 inch pods. I’ll hqve. Look tonight if you want.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Anthony121,

Thanks for your reply. I actually managed to purchase on eBay a stock parcel shelf, factory subs and amp (all harness intact) from a VE HSV for $100. All in perfect working order. This will make it easier knowing where I have to cut the holes in my parcel shelf and comes with all the gear I'll need. I was going to purchase all the gear individually aftermarket but I'm sure the sound quality is more than adequate for what I'm looking for. My VX Calais has a factory 8 speaker system and the sound is amazing with the Kenwood head unit I installed.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VE-HSV-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was just wondering if these can be connected up the same way. Do you know where I could get a wiring diagram for this setup?

For the inputs to this factory amp, I'm assuming I'll still require an LOC, correct?

I actually did a quick inspection inside the boot of my car. Behind the RHS carpet liner, there is a harness connector disconnected. I'm not sure what this is used for. I already have a towbar fitted so it's not for that. Could it be for an amp perhaps?

Thanks again for your help and for the offer of the speaker pods.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
I do have the wiring guide for both of these amps. If you have a VF Calais without the amp, you won't need the LOC for the Bosch Amp. This amp sits in next to the speaker on the VE so not too sure if it can go there in the VF. 3 bolts hold it in. This amp was pretty good in my VE. You do need to reverse the speaker polarity on the subs as they were set up wrong from GM. This amp also has a gain control on it.

I need to dig out the diagrams for the Bosch amp. The speaker outputs for the VF are on the forum or you could just get the rear signal from each side near the rear doors.

The small flat plug in the VF is not for the Amp. I have this also and is left without any connectors on it.

You got a great deal with all that for $100.