Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Park brake problems

Shaun1b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 11 Redline
The VF/WN HSV GenF workshop Manual can be found within post #9 of the Genuien GM Service Manual thread .

Download it and look at <brakes> <Park Brake> <Repair Instructions> <Park Brake Cable Adjuster Disabling> & <Park Brake Cable Aduster Enabling>

A quick rundown of the process is:
  • turn on ignition but don't start the engine
  • put gearbox into drive (auto) or neutral (manual)
  • press and hold the brake pedal (don't take foot off brake pedal until this procedure is finished)
  • press and hold the handbrake (EPB) button for about 5 seconds
  • observe the park brake lamp in the instrument cluster
  • when the park brake lamp flashes, release then immediately press and releae the park brake (EPB) button
    the park brake cable tension if fully released
  • take foot off park brake pedal
Now that the park brake cable tension is released, the park brake shoes can be adjusted to be between 189.6-189.8mm at their widest point. This mechanical adjustment is done by lifting the vehicle and twiddling the park brake adjuster behind the rear disc brake, see <Park Brake Adjustment>.

With the park brake cable tension released and rear of car off the ground, rear wheels should spin freely... It does not seem like a complex thing to do but that depends on your skill level. Just be sure to corretly supported the vehicle (use stands not hydraulic jack) if checking the park brake discs, etc..

As a final step, the cable tension can be set and the EPS module calibratied by doing the following.
  • turn on ignition but don't start the engine
  • press and hold the brake pedal (don't take foot off brake pedal until this procedure is finished)
  • put gearbox into drive (auto) or neutral (manual)
  • momentary lift then release the park brake (EPB) switch (apply park brake)
  • momentary press and release the park brake (EPB) switch (releae the park brake)
  • repeat the above apply/release steps an additional 4 times
  • the EPB module will be calibrated
If the park brake shoes are OK and adjusted correctly, just doing the cable adjuster disabling/enabling may be enough though i'd check the park brake shoes to be sure...

And if the park brake cables are streched beyong the capability of the EPB control module to 'calibrate' i'd think you'd need new park brake cables which seems like a bigger job.

I'd simply try the disbling/enabling process as a first step and see how that works out as it's a simple car on ground process...

Warning: i have not tried this GM procedure so use at your own risk.
I did this and adjusted the handbrake shoe mechanism by locking them up and backing them off. Worked really well and my ECU light reset as a result.
Thanks.