Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pay pal scam Please read

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Lol - as soon as the buyer started offering you more than what you asked for sight unseen I didn't need to read any more.

Reaper

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Do it, he sounds legit..

aZk.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Yes but even after the money clears they do a Paypal claim stating the account was hacked so it's reversed. The money then gets taken from your bank account and you have lost your car at the same time.

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Actually what they do is pretend to overpay you then request you return the overpaid amount to them via Western Union or a different method than they originally paid with (It's almost always Western Union). You'll also find the PayPal email you may have received if he did "pay" would be false and if you logged into your real PayPal account there would be no actual transaction. They only need 1 in a hundred people to be stupid and careless enough and they make $500 per day, not bad money given the third world dump they usually come from. Funny how they can afford internet connections but live like animals in the dirt expecting the rest of the world to feed them. Makes me mad.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
same thing happened to me.... was selling my mrs honda jazz.

the 2nd i heard that an interstate buyer wanted to buy sight unseen, i knew it was dodgy.
when he said he wanted it shipped after offering me asking price plus transport costs, i told him ill be forwarding all emails to police.
never contacted me again.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
all very bizarre: "the vehicle to be ship to London," - don't they sell cars in England ?
What I'm not smart enough to understand is, how he's going to rip you, or perhaps PayPal, off: I can't see how that would work, unless he persuades you to hand over the car before payment is finalized.
Last year, I stumbled over a fraud on GumTree, where someone was selling a motorbike, and was using pics lifted from a genuine advert a few months earlier, and which I had inspected. But he wanted my money, on the promise that he would freight the bike to me. But your situation is the reverse, and I can't see how it would work: obviously, I'm not sneaky enough ...

just caught up with posts by Xman & Supe, and yes, they are two ways it might work for the scammer.

Last edited:

duehicky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan
Lol just had another silly individual try and do it again, I read up until I saw pay pal and told em to suck a fat on :)

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
As I understand it, this scam (and others like it), start off in this manner, they offer to buy the car at asking price or slightly higher. They state they can't come to personally view the car as they are (insert excuse here - oil rig worker, on the moon, in hospital etc etc) but they wish to purchase your car and they need to finalise the deal quickly.

If at this point you are foolish enough to give them your paypal details they then send you a fake paypal notification stating that the money has been transferred and it is in paypal's account ready for handing over. However they will also tell you that it cannot be released (and the excuses here can be anything i.e until freight, agents fees etc has been paid or cleared or arranged or converted - yet another excuse). At this point the scammer then ups the ante on the urgency of the transfer and states that if you (the seller) pays the freight, agents fees etc, they will refund you what you have paid (usually a couple of thousand dollars). They immediately send you another fake paypal notice informing you that you have another payment waiting for final transfer.

If at this point you are stupid enough to pay the freight, agents fees (insert excuse here for additional fee), they demand that it be paid by Western Union or some other non-refundable means to their account. Once they get the money, you then will fall into one of two categories, Number 1 is, you never hear from them again and you never get the money from paypal (because it doesn't exist) and if you contact paypal they will tell you both notifications you received are fake or 2, they say something has happened and that you have to pay more money to get the original funds cleared, but they will reimburse you and send you another fake paypal notification that the money is there - and at this point they try and scam even more money off you.

There are many variations to this scam, but it usually follows this path. Don't toy with them as it helps them to improve their scams by working out what tipped people off in the first place. The best way to deal with scammers is to not reply to them at all. Hope this helps.