Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedders Soft Set Coilovers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think part of the problem may lie within the tyres...19" will have next to no give in the sidewall, giving a slightly firmer ride.....

Keep that in mind when getting springs

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I also have my pedders set at FE2 height

For my street settings I started on full soft front and rear, then adjusted to suit the roads and speed bumps

I found on full soft the front and rear would hit the bump stops going over speed bumps

I kept adjusting until that no longer happened, the front was fairly simple, for the rear I had a few goes, but realised that setting with a full tank of fuel made life simpler

I initially set the rear with a 1/4 tank of fuel, I set it on 1 or 2 clicks from full soft, but when I filled the tank I found it to soft and it would hit the bump stops, I would them up to 5, went for a cruise over some speed humps and a "spirited" run, and found that was pretty much spot on

My experience with adjustable coil overs is set your height, then start at full soft and adjust from there, only going as hard as required

Hard suspension does not always = better handling, especially when your talking about street cars

Same same for lowering suspension to far, the compromise is typically always poorer handling from poor geometry and poor compliance from being over sprung/dampened

In saying this the poor handling can be hidden when driving on the street because you are not really pushing the suspension hard, but take it to a track day and the difference a well set up suspension is huge, and you be amazed how much you can can drop off your lap times

Blackdog66

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
I run pedders xtreme in my VX SS, done about 15k km or more with them, no issues at all

For the street/hwy cruising I run 5 clicks at the rear, and 8 on the front from full soft for a nice and compliant feel

For the strip I go full hard on the rear and full soft on the front, seems to work well
Thanks , so when on 8 , they can still be wound out to be softer ? Any help on the settings be good , it’s it like -15 is super soft and + 15 super ?
Say -12 rear -8 front will be medium Soft cruisy ?

Blackdog66

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
I think part of the problem may lie within the tyres...19" will have next to no give in the sidewall, giving a slightly firmer ride.....

Keep that in mind when getting springs
Thanks , had 20’s before and they were so rough

Blackdog66

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
You can get pedders with softer springs, if pedders don't have springs in stock King can make custom rate coils for them. The shocks should be set close to where the spring likes and left alone, you're not meant to adjust the ride feel with shocks they're there to control the spring.
Not sure if they change out spring rates ? , will have to enquire

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
VE have settings softest then bout 30 clicks firmer, for most of my street i was on full soft or still under 10 clicks firmer all round

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Thanks , so when on 8 , they can still be wound out to be softer ? Any help on the settings be good , it’s it like -15 is super soft and + 15 super ?
Say -12 rear -8 front will be medium Soft cruisy ?
You need to set it for your spring rate, ride height, and driving conditions

And don't go over speed humps fast, hit them like a cop is watching, or your taking nanna to the shops

My recommendation for a street car is to start on full soft and go for a drive, start with a speed hump, you'll notice the front and rear shocks may tend to bottom out on the speed humps, stop, wind the adjustment up 2 clicks tighter on either end, then run over the speed hump again, do this a few times and adjust, by 1 or 2 clicks until the car doesn't bottom out

I then add 1 more click and go for a drive in some twisties and do a few hard stops, then if required 1 or 2 more clicks to harden it up

Setting ride height is more about the suspension arm geometry, clearance and how much camber adjustment you have, and how much camber you actually need, dependant of how good your tyres are and driving style

Working out camber is pretty simple, especially on a street car, look at how the surface of your tyre wears, if you are not getting any noticeable wear on the outside of the tread surface you need less camber, if the outside of tyre is rolling over towards the sidewall you need more camber

For me, toe on a street car is pretty simple, 0 front and 0 rear, gives me good and even tyre, camber for mine is 1.5°- on the front, and 0.5°- on the rear

Others will totally disagree with how I have set up my car, but, I have found through trial and error that this works best for my driving style, how I use my car, and to get optimal tyre wear

Setting up your suspension dampening for street shouldn't take too long, as in the end it is set up for compliance mainly, and the ability to hit bumps and corners in multiple scenarios, it is not like settings it up to make the perfect lap, on a smooth circuit with lots of different corners, corner speeds and clipping the colours to worry about

Test and adjust, rinse and repeat, but always remember where you are, I used a note book, that way, when you go to the track or strip, you know where you are, we're, need, for different applications

Setting suspension is holistic, driving style, geometry, clearance, tyres, tyre pressures, spring rate, dampening rate and alignment settings all need to be considered and work in unison for optimum performance, albeit sometimes slightly compromised when compliance is required (street driving)

10 typical cars, with typical modifications, can have 10 different setting requirements

10 different people will have 10 different opinions

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, it to set it up for you and your car

RenfieldFive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6 Sportwagon
Just fitted these to my VF SV6 wagon with 20' rims. I found on the softer settings the car was a tad "bouncy". Dial ling 'em up seems to reduce this quite a lot. I did buy them because I wanted better handling and they certainly deliver on that front. I guess the comfort factor is the trade off. I'd say if comfort is your prerequisite then the Pedders are probably not what your after.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Just fitted these to my VF SV6 wagon with 20' rims. I found on the softer settings the car was a tad "bouncy". Dial ling 'em up seems to reduce this quite a lot. I did buy them because I wanted better handling and they certainly deliver on that front. I guess the comfort factor is the trade off. I'd say if comfort is your prerequisite then the Pedders are probably not what your after.
My pedders are quite compliant once setup right

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I also have my pedders set at FE2 height

For my street settings I started on full soft front and rear, then adjusted to suit the roads and speed bumps

I found on full soft the front and rear would hit the bump stops going over speed bumps

I kept adjusting until that no longer happened, the front was fairly simple, for the rear I had a few goes, but realised that setting with a full tank of fuel made life simpler

I initially set the rear with a 1/4 tank of fuel, I set it on 1 or 2 clicks from full soft, but when I filled the tank I found it to soft and it would hit the bump stops, I would them up to 5, went for a cruise over some speed humps and a "spirited" run, and found that was pretty much spot on

My experience with adjustable coil overs is set your height, then start at full soft and adjust from there, only going as hard as required

Hard suspension does not always = better handling, especially when your talking about street cars

Same same for lowering suspension to far, the compromise is typically always poorer handling from poor geometry and poor compliance from being over sprung/dampened

In saying this the poor handling can be hidden when driving on the street because you are not really pushing the suspension hard, but take it to a track day and the difference a well set up suspension is huge, and you be amazed how much you can can drop off your lap times

Add in, you are running higher profile tyres compared to the OP which means a the tyre absorbs the bumps a little more than the OP's car... :)