Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedders suspension quote, reasonable?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
how the hell can you put irs in a live axel car?

I'd like to know that too. The IRS models had a different rear floor pressing to accommodate the totally dissimilar mounting points. I think the rear chassis rails might have been different too.

The only ways I can think of would have been a cut and shut, or by removing the entire rear floor pan from the car, starting about the rear footwells, back to the boot floor, and that's only a guess as I'm not familiar with the IRS on pre-VT's.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Here is what they found and the cost for parts.
- Very soft front shocks ($300)
- Front Sway bar bushes are split ($75)
- Badly worn Radius Bushes ($40)
- Leaking Rear shocks ($182)
- On the rear, lower bush adjusters fitted incorrectly, nuts missing. ($252)
At a quick glance (I can do the rest if you want), the shock prices are a little high for what is just rebadged Monroes...

In a KYB we could do the fronts for $270pair, and $115pair for the rears.

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Weird how he installed IRS when you compare an IRS and Live axle car underneath and they are quite different. How do you know its IRS, have you looked at the VS manual or another irs/live axle car to compare? seems like he must of been a genius to do it himself or really skilled

Helicopter

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Calais V8
Get a second quote

Yep,

My car developed a loud banging sound under hard acceleration, which to me at least appeared to be coming somewhere from the rear suspension or failure of the center bearing. Took it to Pedders, the experts. They drove it and then put it on the hoist.

Well....."we can't see anything obvious and will need to start pulling the IRS apart to investigate further". Well if it was bleeding obvious on looking underneath I could fix it. Their quote, lets start at $700 and work up from there!:bang:

Solution, my mate diagnosed the problem in less that 60 secs. Replaced damaged passenger side engine mount, and $15 later perfect.

Say no more.:yeah:

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
@Dannyboy: The first set of figure (which you quoted) was just parts, labour is on top of that.

Uhh I must have mis-read his first post, a second check revealed he did say they are parts only.

It's a bit expensive to be honest.

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Why is it any company involved in automotive WILL try and scam you unless you know what your talking about? yeah i know cash..sad

Jimmy2228

Jimmy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Ute 5spd
@ 89 VN, I believe it is IRS as the rear wheels have negative chamber, also Pedders and a local shop confirmed it. It could of been IRS all along, and the bloke who owned it was a holden mechanic, but he didnt exactly look like a 'genius'.

@ hako, your right I should probably shop around and only fix what is absolutely necessary at this moment in time and let the rest wait until i can get some more money.

@ Helicopter, classic example of a good ending hey? wish everything could be like that.

@gslrallysport, i appreciate the offer mate, but like you said they seem overpriced which is what i was after. Thanks mate

And if I do decide to replace the shocks I might do it myself with a few mates as they tell me its an easy job.

Thanks guys

vs wagon 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon Executive
reply to quote

yer the quote they gave u sounds a bit over the top... i would shop around see if other brands will suit your needs... i just renewed all the suspension under my VS i got a quote of pedders and it was $500 more than king springs with gabreial rear shocks and front struts... so best thing to do is shop around and look for the best value

bittsa

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VR acclaim
read about 6 of the posts then gave up, so here is my 2 cents, as i have just done this. i did the work myself, i paid $260 for lowered front shocks. they where noname brand, aussie made though. and 160ish for monroe lowered rear shocks. do the rear shocks your self, no technical no how required. jack it up, take off the wheel, undo the shock at the wheel hub, undo it in the boot, reverse this to put it back in. the front where tricky, but can be figured out. as for the bushes. fark that man, id just get them to do it.

good luck anyways

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
bushes can be very easy to do, if done right.

you need a tool that can apply allotof pressure (A 15-20 tonne bottle jack is good) a stick welder will help as well as some different plates and fittings and brackets that you will need to bend up.

plan the job out from under the car, draw up your proposed temporary press, go weld it up, once the job is done and test drives are complete, you can dismantle the press untill you need to do another bush, which should be a different one, unless you are unlucky and the ones you just did failed for some reason, anyway when you do a different bush you will need to set the press up differently.

Think outside the square.