Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedders Vs. King Springs

christopherVYpaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pac
Hey Guys,

I have recently approached a few shops in regards to lowering my car and have had several different opinions in relation to which brands to use.

It is a choice between King Springs and Pedder Sport Ryders.

I have been a King Spring man with my previous vehicles, however am condsidering the Pedder's this time around.

Opinions and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I've used both and Lovells and to be honest the biggest difference in ride and handling I've found has been more to do with which shocks you use rather than the springs them selves.

christopherVYpaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pac
I've used both and Lovells and to be honest the biggest difference in ride and handling I've found has been more to do with which shocks you use rather than the springs them selves.

I already have Pedder's Sport Ryder shocks fitted, so do you think going with Pedders would be ok?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I've had pedders sports ryder in my vy, vz ss and now my ve calais and i recommend them. I know people that have used kings and lovells and say they are also good but i've heard the kings are a bit harsh ride wise compared to the others.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Some of these brands are probably made inthe same factory anyway and just painted a different colour. Honestly I'd stick with the standard FE2.

christopherVYpaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pac
Some of these brands are probably made inthe same factory anyway and just painted a different colour. Honestly I'd stick with the standard FE2.

Are you against lowering, or do you mean reset the original spring height?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997

I agree. Stay with what you have if the current springs are in good condition.

Spend money on a good set of shocks as it seems you already have from what you have said. I would not change the springs (unless those fitted have deteriorated badly) until you have to change the dampers again because it's expensive and IMHO a waste of money on a 6-7 year old car with sports FE2 suspension fitted anyway.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Personally I wouldn't lower a Commodore these days especially if it had FE2 in it already as I think they are low enough and handle well enough. I see alot of these cars really low and I don't like the look of the rear rims sitting right on the top of the arch. My car has standard srpings so the back sits higher than the front but with FE2 they sit pretty much level anyway. My VY with standard srpings is a much more responsive car to drive than my cousind VX S Pac with FE2, the steering is sharper and provides a lot of feedback fromt he road unlike the VX. I'd only be replacing the springs if they had sagged and I'd probably go and buy new FE2 springs or failing that after markets of the same height and rate.
I had lowered Torana's in my younger days, they needed it and a lot of other mods as well as they handled like crap, these VY's are a good handling and well balanced car as they roll off the production line even with standard springs. If you drive it properly and use the power to balance the car they are a fun car to drive and have very high levels of grip. Lowering and fitting Selby springs etc makes them handle but they also become bumpy and you get a hard ride. I'll say it again why stuff up a good car by making it ride like a tractor and sound like one by tossing a perfectly good exhaust. Your better saving your money and upgrading the car when you are tired of it.

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
I've just lowered my VY with Kings HD's and Monroe GT Sports all round and I find the ride quality excellent.

If you have Pedders shocks though I'd be inclined to match up the springs with Pedders too

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
When it comes to springs there is only one choice IMHO EIBACH eibach.com.au