Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedders XA Coilover ride height

myksomerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV S2 Redline
I have a S2 Redline and am putting Pedders Coilovers in soon.

I bought it lowered, with Monroe GT shocks and what look like Pedders springs but I haven't had them out and can't see any info on them. Regardless, I'm currently sitting at 685mm on 285/30/20 rubber and want to keep it there.

Wondering if anyone has a cheat sheet or calculation to pre-set the ride height right, especially to get the rears right without repeat disassembling?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they are easy to set only have to take the wheel off to adjust them, depends on a few variables but if the rear is at its lowest the guard will be about level or 1cm lower then top of tyre, the front i have about 31mm between the nuts on the strut and guard sits about level or 1cm above the top of the tyre, u should be able to guess from there and will be some error anyway

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
I have a S2 Redline and am putting Pedders Coilovers in soon.

I bought it lowered, with Monroe GT shocks and what look like Pedders springs but I haven't had them out and can't see any info on them. Regardless, I'm currently sitting at 685mm on 285/30/20 rubber and want to keep it there.

Wondering if anyone has a cheat sheet or calculation to pre-set the ride height right, especially to get the rears right without repeat disassembling?
Normally you measure the centre of wheel to gaurd lip to get your height.
Standard is around 380mm-395mm depending on the Commodore variant.
Coilovers will settle after a few thousand kilometres.
Can't help with the initial setup but not too difficult to pull the wheels off & adjust the height, I use Vernier calipers.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
I measure between B & C.
Note 10mm adjustment here isn't necessarily 10mm ride height difference.
Something you just have to play around with.
Also from experience the lower you go the harsher the ride is, just need to find that happy medium.
images (5).jpeg

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
B and C is as long as your adjusting the bottom section and not adjusting the preload on the spring with the pedders setup

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Agree. Pedders adjust ride height via the bottom mount, unlike some other brands.

myksomerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV S2 Redline
they are easy to set only have to take the wheel off to adjust them, depends on a few variables but if the rear is at its lowest the guard will be about level or 1cm lower then top of tyre, the front i have about 31mm between the nuts on the strut and guard sits about level or 1cm above the top of the tyre, u should be able to guess from there and will be some error anyway
Thanks man, that is what I was after.

myksomerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV S2 Redline
All done. Very happy with the ride quality, but with the rear adjusted as low as they can go, I'm still around 20mm higher than I was. Will they settle much more over time?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
All done. Very happy with the ride quality, but with the rear adjusted as low as they can go, I'm still around 20mm higher than I was. Will they settle much more over time?
Were you adjusting them with the handbrake on?
Did you make any adjustments to the base or did you just adjust the spring perch?
The springs being captive is also not as much of an issue on coilovers - mainly because of the VE's better IRS compared to the past Commodores - but also because of how small the diameter of the springs are vs the thickness of the shock absorber casing, that and they usually have helper springs or some kind of sleeve or platform for the springs to index to on the top or the bottom.

Last edited:

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Hi guys. How do the Pedders coil overs compare to the Shockworks coil overs ?