Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

penrite oil

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
Anyone else use the Penrite 10W40(50w now days) Semi-syn in there ls1?
my vt ls1 has 220,000 k`s on it and im trying to put some good oil it it
ive tryed mobil 2000 15W40 and seem to be ticking alot more then normal on start up

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
you shoulda asked for a free sample oil lol

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I have spoken to the CEO of castrol and he assures me that that new magnatec surpasses all other oil. Which is his job to tell me that but he was.very convincing lol.

lol, there is no such thing in that any oil can surpass every other oil. There are too many different engines, driving conditions, engine conditions, individual driving style, maintenance, oil change interval etc to say something like that. Being the CEO you can bet he wouldn't even know and only cares about sales and shares and board meetings. Of the Castrol Range, Edge 10w60 would be there best one, and for the price Castrol GTX Modern Engine 15w40 would be my pick. THe Magnatec is just too expensive for a mineral oil mized with some esters for the oil sticking to metal (magnetic) properties.

Another thing, Castrol is the US has been battling out a war with the giants Mobil and Penzzoil in the U.S. Valvoline started it by coming out with oils there saying that they protect 3 X better than Mobil etc. Then another came out with 7 x and i think Castrol came out with 10 x or some rediculous thing like that. They are taking one of many different tests that they need to meet SM/SN rating and seeing how they beet the other manufacturer. It is ALL MARKETING !!!

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have used Penrite in a lot of cars I have had without any issues, but after reading a few posts on the 'LS1 Holden' forum there are a few negative comments as to its use in LS1's, there are a few posts about it not having enough detergent content and a few motors have developed sludge issues even though they had 5000 km service intervals. The workshop that services my VX SS which have heaps of LS1 powered cars through the workshop use Castrol Magnatec and it seems ok, theirs is a bulk delivery workshop grade 15w40 not the regular 10w40 that you buy retail.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Castrol magnetec is the go.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
cost me $28 for a bottle of magnatec and a ryco filter, too expensive??? i am used to paying in excess of $60 for castrol edge

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i was using 10w40 castrol in my vx 6 use a lot of oil running LPG

changed to penrite 15w60 and it's super quite

best so far @210K

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
Which is better. Penrite 10W-50 or 15W60?

I see most people seem to be using 15W-60. Is there any reason for this? I'm using Penrite 10W-50 in my Mazda 626 and it loves it. Runs excellently.

Want to buy Penrite oil for my new Commodore but didn't come with a user manual so wasn't sure what viscosity to get.

Also is it worth throwing in a bottle of Nulon Worn Engine Treatment (VX has done around 200k)? I usually throw in a bottle every oil chain with my 626 and I've never had any troubles.