Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance chip advice

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 3.6 SV6 wagon Series II 2017
I'm looking into buying/installing a performance chip for my SV6 wagon (2017). I've heard about cop chips, and Brock chips, but does anybody have any advice on this topic? Based in SA.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The term “chip” is so 80’s and emanated from the socketed prom chip that was used in those ECU’s of the day.

Now the hip term is “tune”, a software file that you can use to reprogram todays modern(ish) ECUs but such mail order tunes are rubbish in my opinion. Better to reprogram and optimise the existing ECU when it’s on a dyno, in real time (but thats more costly)..

The bigger question you should be asking yourself should be based around what you are trying to achieve. If it’s just bragging rights, maybe a cheap brock polarised would suffice :p

What you do really depends on what you want and your budget but you’ve provided no indication of what either may be ;)

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 3.6 SV6 wagon Series II 2017
The term “chip” is so 80’s and emanated from the socketed prom chip that was used in those ECU’s of the day.

Now the hip term is “tune”, a software file that you can use to reprogram todays modern(ish) ECUs but such mail order tunes are rubbish in my opinion. Better to reprogram and optimise the existing ECU when it’s on a dyno, in real time (but thats more costly)..

The bigger question you should be asking yourself should be based around what you are trying to achieve. If it’s just bragging rights, maybe a cheap brock polarised would suffice :p

What you do really depends on what you want and your budget but you’ve provided no indication of what either may be ;)
Thanks Skylarking. I really like the way the car performs when it's in sport and 'performance shift' activates (it usually clicks in when cornering). It's really responsive and gears down nicely etc ... I'd love to be able to program it so it switches into that mode immediately whenever I put it in sport. Getting a little more horsepower out of the engine at the same time would be pretty sweet too.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'm not sure the VF 3.6 (LF-X?) has as much room to move as the nearly-twice-as-large V8's do, I'm not sure you'll get as much out of re-tuning the ECU as you might hope.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ unless, I guess one spends really silly money :p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the OP can find someone with a cop tune file, then that will add 45-50kw alone. To access that file though you would really need to be a cop mechanic, they have the programing gear and remap their own ECUs when the car is delivered before it hits the streets.

Reactions: XML

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My old boss used a OBD plug in module and it did jack. Not to say they are all no good but his was a waste of money.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Wow that chipyourcar website flogs the 5 to 10 dollar(aud) elm327 module for 59 dollars (usd) o_O

You need to be careful with some of the chips sold on places like ebay or international websites/markets because there are a few fakes that do nothing.
Some when opened just have some resistors and leds lol.