Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Perma guard paint protection w/ lifetime warranty Y/N??

surfermv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sortwagon
Hi everyone,
Took the opportunity to upgrade my 2014 VF Evoke sportwagon to a 2017 VF2 SV6 sportwagon in the current plate stock clearance. I went for the Nitrate (silver) colour over my normal white (it will be my 5th commodore wagon all were white) and I'm wondering whether to spend the $850 on the paint protection. I know automatically everyone says 'no way!' and I too told the lady on the phone that I would get my detailer to apply a paint protection and she replied with 'well will he repaint your car if it fails?'. The product is called perma guard and it comes with a lifetime warranty, and Holden will apparently repaint your car if the paint gets stained or fades etc. She used the example if you were at the beach and parked under a sappy tree on a hot day and it baked on and ruined the paint, that holden would fix/repaint the car. This sounds like a great deal, but has anyone claimed under it? I can imagine it's a nightmare? Or is it worth the $850?? I have about 24-48 hours to decide as I pick the car up on Friday, so any advice, hit me! I'm in Sydney and the car will be parked outside one street back from the beach :(

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Do a search on dealer paint protection on here mate. Dozens of threads about it. Read the 'lifetime warranty' carefully, probably full of all sorts 'ifs and buts' you won't find many (if any) on here telling you to go for it, so it's a fairly biased audience, however a lot of us have spent a lot of time researching this and IMO, no dealer job is worth it.

Go and find a reputable detailer who knows how to properly correct paint (even brand new paint will need it to some degree) and who has the runs on the board with a well-known and backed product, not the latest fly-by-night rubbish slapped on in the back of the lot.

I'd be concerned that she's mentioning paint failure and repainting at this early stage. Most reputable products guarantee against this if maintained properly. Remember, this is how the ming -mole (and the dealership) makes their money. There's bugger all coin in actual carsales, it's this crap, and financing that pays their bills.

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
Yeah, if going the paint protection route, Pro detailer application is the only way to go.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
You'd be better off applying a good wax regularly, than buying the dealer supplied wipe on wipe off rubbish. It's nigh on useless. I got given a bottle of the stuff HSV uses/used in 2013 and applied it to my Redline. I carefully followed the instructions under the watchful eye of a detailer mate.
It looked ok for a while, shed water etc, but, within a couple of months it was gone.
Pay a bit more and get a professionally applied ceramic coat. Then top it with a good wax every couple of months.
Looks awesome and assists in dramatically reducing wash time, use of mitts, sponges etc and reduces minor swirls etc. I'm yet to put a mitt or sponge on my MSE and the paint looks better than new. Arrived in Sept. 4,000k's including bugs etc.

Last edited:

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Agreed.

That pic I just posted in the carbra thread was after 3+ weeks of road trip to WA and back.

Car was putrid (roadworks, rain, spray from roadtrains, etc) so I pressure cleaned it, no sponges, chamois, or whatever, on the way home at Esperance.

There is a scummy film on it but not noticeable in the pic from that distance.

I like Opticoat but I figure it doesn't matter which ceramic coating. Most of the finish is in the skill of the pro applying it.

edit - https://imgur.com/a/CQLQN

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hi everyone,
Took the opportunity to upgrade my 2014 VF Evoke sportwagon to a 2017 VF2 SV6 sportwagon in the current plate stock clearance. I went for the Nitrate (silver) colour over my normal white (it will be my 5th commodore wagon all were white) and I'm wondering whether to spend the $850 on the paint protection. I know automatically everyone says 'no way!' and I too told the lady on the phone that I would get my detailer to apply a paint protection and she replied with 'well will he repaint your car if it fails?'. The product is called perma guard and it comes with a lifetime warranty, and Holden will apparently repaint your car if the paint gets stained or fades etc. She used the example if you were at the beach and parked under a sappy tree on a hot day and it baked on and ruined the paint, that holden would fix/repaint the car. This sounds like a great deal, but has anyone claimed under it? I can imagine it's a nightmare? Or is it worth the $850?? I have about 24-48 hours to decide as I pick the car up on Friday, so any advice, hit me! I'm in Sydney and the car will be parked outside one street back from the beach :(

All these offerings are overpriced (due to dealer mark up) and there is NOTHING a Holden dealer can offer that any high quality reputable professional auto paint detailer cannot do and more than likely at a much better price with a much better result for you. This is just another dealer profit centre and it's all part of the big up sell they hound you with when you buy a new car. Don't be a dummy and fall for it or for all the sales lines those silly ass females charged with selling these aftermarket dealer marked up products try on the customers.

If you want a high quality paint protection applied by an expert who really cares about your car like it is his own then contact Langdon Ross at "DRIVEN COLOUR" in the Hills district. Contact him through the contact info on his web site www.drivencolour.com.au
Tell him what you want for the car and he will recommend options for you right up to the best permanent coatings. You car will inevitably need some paint correction first and this guy will do a 120% job for you whatever you decide you want and he uses all the best available products. Quite honestly I cannot recommend this person highly enough, what he delivers to his customers is great value for money in my experience and people like him deserve support.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If paint correction is required and most new cars need something then it's labour intensive to do it right.

The dealers will be subbing this work out to the cheapest bidder and to maximise profit this is the area where they will skimp.

This is also the stage that means the difference between an excellent shine, a good shine and an average shine which will ultimately be sealed under the protection process.

Pay a reputable independent detailer who has their reputation on the line and you will most like reap the rewards for your money.

phantom0817

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
She used the example if you were at the beach and parked under a sappy tree on a hot day and it baked on and ruined the paint, that holden would fix/repaint the car.

“fix/repaint”? In other words, if they even accept the claim, they will do a deep cut and polish (which is destructive anyway) to the affected area, and if that doesn’t work someone will repaint the affected area only. Not the “car” (whole car). If the product was good enough they wouldn’t need to use fear to justify it. Surely the product is good enough that the sap will never bake on anyway?

And I totally agree that a reputable paint protection product applied by a good detailer is worth doing.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Lol they would take it to the cheapest shop in the land to get affected panels repainted, would look like a patchwork quilt at best!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
its just a scam to take your money off you be warned