Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Picking a mono block

COINERS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY.10
Hi guys,
I need some assistance on this one…
I’m running a 12inch JL sub 12w0-4 125 watts subby.
I used to have it bridged of a 4 channel amp. But I have recently upgraded all my speakers and I’ am running them all off that amp now.
So now im thinking of getting a mono block amp to power the sub.
I was thinking of going for a JL amp. But with my current living expenses it’s just too much. So now im stuck for an amp.
Can any one recommend a good amp that won’t set me back to much. I was doing some reading and MTX RT251D road thunder amp seems pretty good. But im not to shore about amps :S
Can I get some ideas or recommendations?
Thanks guys
Nick

Also the specs for the mtx amp - > http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-MTX_RT251D

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The sub is 4 ohm, mono blocks are made to run 2 and 1 ohm subs. They will still run a 4 ohm sub, but will only produce half their rated 2 ohm power.

You'll see in your link that it only makes 100W at 4 ohm. You would be better off buying a more powerful mono block that you can use for future subs, or just buy a 2 channel and bridge it because they're made to produce their maximum power into 4 ohm when bridged. Look at any 2x60Wrms up to 2x100Wrms should make enough when bridged.

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Do you plan on upgrading, in time?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
That amp does 150Wrms x 1 at 4 ohm, so it will work for that sub. But if you do ever change your system, that amp will be pretty useless as it's such a low powered amp. If you don't plan to change subs, it'll be fine.

I prefer to have more power available than i'll need so that I don't run the amp too hard and in case I need to use the amp for something else in the future.

lieos

what ford i didnt see it
Reaction score
im running a 250w rms pioneer GM-7100m runnin my 15" mtx and its a gd mono it costs less then $300 if you shop round and should run ur sub nicely