Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pinging on light throttle

WhiteWhale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 wagon M5
leaning out under normal driving conditions to the point of knock or preignition would make driving very unpleasant kinda like if someone took 2-3 plugs out it would not be happy, also the fuel trims should be trying to keep fuel in line so they would have to be maxed out 20-30% trying to add in fuel before it would reach the limit and then start to lean out, anything like this if its lean using more throttle would make it much worse, if fueling cant keep up with little throttle then adding more throttle just instantly adds more air making the situation worse real quick to the point the engine will feel like its cutting out completely (not good to do) try the 02 sensor if its been a while could help,

02's work on a 0-1v scale 0v being lean and 1v being rich, normal driving when up to temp should see the 02's value shifting above and below the 0.45v constantly thats showing its operating properly, when u go full throttle the reading should be around the 0.80v or above showing its richer, if the full throttle shows under the 0.45 then ur way lean for full throttle
Thanks for that info again, that’s the sort of stuff I want to know. Attempted to swap out O2 sensor. I’d like to have stern words with the twit who put it there. Can not get the spanner to turn because it hits the bell housing. Will attempt to modify a spark plug socket so I don’t damage the sensor wire.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the new one should have some anticize on it and also dont hang off it wen doing up just same as a spark plug till it stops then just bit firm n its good, then next time it undoes easy unlike some that hang off it thinking its not going to seal or something, same with sump plug too just firm is best

Reactions: Lex

WhiteWhale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 wagon M5
PINGING FIXED

Discovered breather pipes were all rotten, broken and/or missing.

Saw someone here had plugged their hose hose from the carbon cannister with a self tapper.

Light bulb moment….

Vacuum lines from manifold to carbon cannister were effectively open to the atmosphere.

Put a self tapper in - no more pinging.

Have bought fuel line to repair all the breather hoses this weekend.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you're using a lot of fuel it might be worth having a look at the fuel and vent lines down near the tank - they could be i the same condition and spilling fuel when the tank is near full.

WhiteWhale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 wagon M5
If you're using a lot of fuel it might be worth having a look at the fuel and vent lines down near the tank - they could be i the same condition and spilling fuel when the tank is near full.
Thanks, there were no breather lines attached to the tank at all so yes, I’d say I lost some there . Plus, with none of them connected at all it was drawing air in via the carbon cannister. I’ll get onto it this weekend.