Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Pinging speedway car ????

RICHIE 34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt sedan v6
Would a faulty knock senc make it ping ??? and also would a dicky injector plug do it aswell,for i have got one that always pushes the female end up into the plug , i have changed it now but the engine is still not together yet ,im waitin on gaskets .
Just pulling at straws here at the moment ta..

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah if one injectror came unplugged wouldnt help was it on the cylinder that popped.knock sensor may help if the tune has a lot of timing it will save it if it trys to ping but most of the time the knock sensor doesnt do much when its high in the revs as it gets turned off in the tune at certian revs due to the noise the engine makes at revs will trigger the sensor

RICHIE 34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt sedan v6
yeah if one injectror came unplugged wouldnt help was it on the cylinder that popped.knock sensor may help if the tune has a lot of timing it will save it if it trys to ping but most of the time the knock sensor doesnt do much when its high in the revs as it gets turned off in the tune at certian revs due to the noise the engine makes at revs will trigger the sensor

Thanks for replyin delcowizzid , the bad injecter clip was on cyl 6 and the 1st head gasket blew on no4 and the next one was no3 on the other head , it's got me stuffed !!!!!!!!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
seeing as it's a speedway car, i'd run a fuel cell so there is no issues with fuel surge (and weight saving). as such fuel economy isn't a issue i'd run it a bit richer, especially with the temp correction. shouldn't hurt performance (unless yu go pig rich)

i note you mention that coolant temps are constant. however it takes some time for higher combustion temps to translate through to the coolant temps. run it a touch richer and see what happens.

can't hurt to try

RICHIE 34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt sedan v6
seeing as it's a speedway car, i'd run a fuel cell so there is no issues with fuel surge (and weight saving). as such fuel economy isn't a issue i'd run it a bit richer, especially with the temp correction. shouldn't hurt performance (unless yu go pig rich)

i note you mention that coolant temps are constant. however it takes some time for higher combustion temps to translate through to the coolant temps. run it a touch richer and see what happens.

can't hurt to try

Alraedy run a 50L alloy jaz fuel cell with an external vl turbo bosch fuel pump ????:bang:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Alraedy run a 50L alloy jaz fuel cell with an external vl turbo bosch fuel pump ????:bang:

didn't see that ^^^ anywhere in previous posts. i'd still enrichen the tune a little.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
why only a vl turbo pump? they don't actually flow that much!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

thats actualy a good point. on the dyno the car isn't subjected to any G-forces as such. when your throwing the car around the track (the only major change from the dyno facility) G-forces are also acting on the fuel system reducing it's flow temporarily (the pump has to force the fuel to the front of the car agaisnt the increased load from the G-forces). maybe upgrade the pump to a high flow unit, i don't think the VL "turbo" pumps are that special.

RICHIE 34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt sedan v6

rules,rules,rules .A lot of other guy's with the same HP as me run them with no problems at all ,But we do have a rule book we have to run by .

also what is the thing at the end of the fuel rail called and used for ,mine had a big dent in it so i replaced it aswell/it has the return fuel line in one end and what looks like a small breather on the other end ??????

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
fuel pressure regulator that is keeps the fuel pressure at a constant amount maybe the dent didnt help LOL