Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pioneer AV units, support USB hub?

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
G'day all

Am almost ready to upgrade the stereo in the car and finish off what I started. Top of the list is a new AV receiver, which was going to be a Pioneer AVH-P8450BT (2012 model).

Recently, Pioneer announced its 2013 models, including the upgrade to the 8450, the AVH-X5550BT. Offers a 2480(?) screen resolution, upgraded MIXTRAX software and a couple other features. Dilemma is that it has only 1 USB port, whereas the older model has 2.

Can you use a USB hub with the 2012/2013 units? Or any other solution? Only other way I've found to do it is to have a USB extension cable and swap between the iPod interface cable and the USD drive when required. Not exactly ideal.

Appreciate any help. Thanks

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
dont think it would have the support for a hub, you might be able to get away with a externally powered switching hub that you have to manually switch but other than that i dont know... i have the 8450bt and its pretty good, mixtrax is crap and the iphone control is limited but other than that its a good AV unit... wouldnt be my choice if i had my time over though... the upgrade might be an improvement... id recommend the newer model and use an SD card as a usb for music if i were you... assuming it has one

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The unit only has one source option per USB socket (called USB/iPod) so if you had two devices plugged into one socket, you wouldn't be able to select which device to use. You will need to just use one cable and swap devices.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
As I presumed, thanks for the input guys. Rory, given your time over again, what would you choose/recommend?

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
umm... TBH, the iphone thing hasnt worked nearly as well as i would have hoped, i havent had it working in about 2 weeks but this may be due to an extended dock to dock connector (ebay)... i did get a good price for the unit from JB ($680 odd) with an ipod cable and a reversing camera... but yeah... the extra ports have been amazing as its just a matter of pushing a button and the clarity of the screen at its current resolution isnt an issue for me...