Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pioneer CD tuner and electric aerial

VR mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Executive
Hi guys.

After 11 years finally upgrading from the eurovox tape deck to a CD player. Not a massive music fan as you can probably tell. One of the reasons I hadn't upgraded is because I mainly listen to FM radio and the the fact that the original unit worked perfectly with the genuine electric aerial I fitted after busting the original non electric hitting a bird.

So I bought a Pioneer DEH 2050MPG. When I bought it I asked if the unit would work electric aerial. They said yes. On reading the wiring diagram I got concerned that there was a problem with talking about the electric aerial/amp switch wire being one wire. With no amp and no intentions of putting one in I thought surely if a 1994 tape deck can put the aerial down when you put a tape in surely a 2008 pioneer unit can. So dived in pulled the centre console etc out plugged in the pioneer to genuine harness adapters in. It all works EXCEPT no aerial. So back to the instructions and confirm the amp switch wire is it. Plug it in temporarily to the genuine harness aerial goes up but stays up when CD (and I presume when aux ipod etc plugged in) it only goes down when unit turned off.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get these units to put the electrical aerial down when a CD is on. Or to put it another way to only go up when the radio tuner is in use without wiring in a secondary switch which would just annoy me because I like things to work in an integrated factory style of fashion.

thanks for any help

H.O.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
unfortunately, thats how pioneer has made their units now, bit slack of them, but without wiring in a switch, it will stay up with cd on. as far as i know anyway.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
mine stays up when you put in a CD. Doesn't really bother me as it still goes down when you turn the unit or ignition off

Edit: Factory aerial up and down buttons still work if you wire them in though

VR mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Executive
Thanks for the info guys. It is as I feared. One more question. Do any of the other brands work the aerial properly? That is put it down when the CD goes in. If they do I might turf the Pioneer and go for another brand.
H.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
yeah man most other brands put the aerial down when you put on a cd. i know i have had two and they both done it. they were jvc and alpine. hope you get it sorted mate.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I don't think Pioneer see it as an issue as most people don't care.

I don't see any problem with my antenna being up when CD is playing, it's not hurting anyone. If it really did bother me, i'd either put a switch on the line, get an antenna that is always hidden or buy a brand that actually had the features I required. Doesn't anyone research before they buy products these days?

VR mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Executive
I asked the questions and got told it would do it and if you look at the spec sheets you can't tell.

Apparently the other brands care.
H.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You can't trust a sales person :( You need to speak to installers or ask on a forum with knowledgeable members.

Anyway, I didn't say Pioneer don't care... I said I don't think they see it as an issue as most people who buy them don't care. I'm sure if they had complaints from consumers, they'd look into it.

VR mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Executive
You have some points but the reasons I did what I did were not that stupid.

I emailed the Pioneer Australia website tech help thing asking the question and never got a response. Great customer service.

You are right should have asked installers but in a country town of 9000 we don't have one. I didn't feel like ringing and asking somewhere I didn't buy something. And to be honest I didn't think of forums because I thought it was pretty basic and would do it and it wasn't until I was looking for hard answers and started searching I hit forums in my searches.

I just thought if I asked the question, and on the basis that a 1994 tape deck could do it then I was reasonably safe that a 2008 pioneer, which I went for due to sticking with a big brand for quality, would do it.

I intended to install it myself. I do most stuff myself as I am reasonably capable on the tools and as I found when doing this job you leave it with a workshop and they are too rough. Screws missing in the dash etc from when my AC switches were fixed recently.

I can put it in and make it work with a switch no dramas but like I said the mods I do I like to look like they were meant to be there factory like. better but factory like. It is just my thing. Some guys like bling, some guys like spoilers, some guys like noise. I just like things to be better but factory like. As if holden said ok we are going to spend an extra $x on this car the enhancements would have been factory like. That is why I am annoyed I can't get this aerial to work like it did with original equipment.

H.